Tranny and brake Qs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tranny and brake Qs

Dirtball
04-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Question 1:

What is the recommended (and I mean real world, not necessarily GM) service on the tranny? Flush and refill, or take off the pan and change the filter and what fluid runs out?

Question 2:

My brake pedal makes a "squeaking" noise when I push it in... kind of like a squeaky hinge on a very heavy door. It's not high pitched, but lower... but has the same type sound. Has anyone else had anything like this happen? The brakes work fine, but I can "feel" through the pedal the slight binding that's making the noise.

Thanks for any help!!

gectek
04-06-2007, 11:23 AM
for transmission it is fluid and filter change...for the brakes, does it happen all the time when u apply them, like even with the car off, or just when you are comming to a stop. if it is a low creaking noise even when the car is parked then there is a TSB out about it, the piston boot is dry and u have to use what is called kluber lube (gm makes it) to lube the seal between the boot and the piston to take the noise away. it is about $6 at the dealer. they usually dont know what it is so the pn is 89022161

Dirtball
04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the reply... and for not giving me the "smartapple" reply of "search for it". I found that old thread and was just returning here to mention that when I saw your reply. Some of them in that thread are moving and some are when still. Mine will do it when still when the system has vacuum. When I hit the brake to start and shift first thing it doesn't do it, but when I crank the engine, voila, it starts creaking while sitting still.

Is the Kluber Lube thing something that someone who is competent with tools can perform? The TSB didn't seem all that difficult...

gectek
04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
all u do is take the bottom bolt off the bottom slide on the caliper and tilt it upward, then pull the boot back and inject the lube in the very top and let it flow down. then let it sit for a little bit and thats it. otherwise if that dont work, then i would also grease the slides while u have it out...but grease the slides first then use the kluber lube. i think thats about it. you dont have to compress the piston or anything, just leave the pads in the brackets and tilt the caliper up on the top slide.

Dirtball
04-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Thanks much... that'll be my first project for spring break next week!