overheating issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : overheating issue

drakesrevenge
04-06-2007, 12:32 PM
my '01 GAGT has been overheating to about 220F before heat comes out of the vents (when heater is on) the temp guage has been all over the place! goes back down to 195F but then no heat comes out of the vents. goes back up to 220a couple of minutes later, heat comes out of the vents then temp drops back to normal.

i put a new thermostat in and nothing changed. i put a new heater bypass in and nothing changed. this morning the temp got all the way up to 255F, i had to pull over and shut it down for 5 minutes, restarted it and then things were back to "normal" 195-222F. i am at my wits end.

tonight i'm gonna bleed the air out of the system, probably buy a new thermostat. any other ideas of what could be causing this? would a blocked heater core cause the temp to get so high?

aaahhhhhhhhhhh!

cardude007617
04-06-2007, 02:14 PM
220 isnt overheating...isnt like 250 or 260???

gectek
04-06-2007, 02:51 PM
220 is not the range u want to run at though, so it would be considered overheating. anything past that and you are risking warping the alum heads.

could be any number of things making the heat rise, but ir in the right direction

cardude007617
04-06-2007, 03:22 PM
are the electric fans going on?

cardude007617
04-06-2007, 03:23 PM
and if i dont mind me asking, whats ur general driving style? like hitting it from the stop light or lightly resting ur foot on the gas from the stop lite?

alphawhisky
04-06-2007, 05:15 PM
hey,
based on what you said the gauge fluctuating and the heat coming and going sounds like low coolant. what engine does it have if its a 3.4/3.1 the intake mite be leaking thus loosing coolant. this is a very common with the 3.4/3.1. I know my intake is leaking and i loose coolant. i dont let it get so low that the i overheat tho. i see alot of intake leaks at work (gm dealership). anyways based on what you said it sounds like low coolant so i would look into that. as far as if you have an ecotech 2.2 i havent seen alot problems with them loosing coolant. a plugged heater core could cause overheating in theory not allowing as much flow threw the system. it could also be partialy plugged and only allowing coolant to flow thew the core some times or allow less to flow. but if the needle is fluctuating i would think its more low coolant. bleeding the air out of the system mite help. after all air doesnt transfer heat as well as coolant.

drakesrevenge
04-09-2007, 07:24 AM
well, the problem appears to be solved! i put a new water pump and thermostat in on saturday, flushed out the old coolant and put in new. ther was a bunch of crap in my surge tank, so i cleaned it out really good. bled the system of air, 2 days later everything seems to be okay still!

paularjune
04-13-2007, 04:00 AM
glad to here problem solve...

Sprucegagt
04-13-2007, 06:50 AM
220 is not the range u want to run at though, so it would be considered overheating. anything past that and you are risking warping the alum heads.

could be any number of things making the heat rise, but ir in the right direction

Stock low speed fans turn on at 223*F and high speed turn on at 232*F. So how can 220 be considered overheating?

gectek
04-13-2007, 11:27 AM
because it is higher than normal op temp...just like in gardening, any plant that grows where you dont want it to is considered a weed, the plant isnt a weed really, but to a thechnical person it is, just in how u look at it i guess.