I'm a wiring noob :) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : I'm a wiring noob :)

Jake
04-06-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm going to get 2 of the LED strips from Oznium.com and put 1 under each seat. my question is, I want to wire them both to a switch and mount it somewhere, can I wire both to the same switch or will I have to get 1 switch for each strip, Thanks, Sorry but im a big wiring noob :D

notsoaveragej0e
04-06-2007, 06:46 PM
I had 6 led strips wired to one switch for my interior lights- you should be fine adding as many as you want, just make sure the main power wire going to the switch is beefy enough to handle it- I think I used like 4ga wire, and that was more than enough.

Jake
04-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks dude :) I am just very uneasy about wiring up LED's and such on my own. :-P Maybe, cuz ive never done it =)

notsoaveragej0e
04-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Werd, so was I, but it's a really good learning experience- it's easy as pie (whatever that means) once you understand the basics.

I remember when I was wiring everything in my car, I had the interior all torn apart- seats out, console out wires everywhere- the car only had like... 500miles on it too. My dad came home from work while I was in the midst of it and just stared. He was so distraught he didn't say a word and kept walking, telling my mom that I'd better pray everything went back together perfectly. Luckily, it did*banana*

Jake
04-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Hahaha, Well I havea lot of experience wiring up systems and stuff but the only Neon lights ive ever had plugged into the cig lighter and I had a adapter that held 4, so it was just plug in and thats it :D

Bryan
04-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah, it's fairly simple. Put the switch in the cubby next to the steering wheel..it's nifty.

Jake
04-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Thats what I was plannin on :D

tenspeed
04-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Use power from the cigarette lighter and put the switch under the HVAC panel. The wires run down the console and split off to each seat. I used a flat rocker switch. No fuse is needed because the cigarette lighter is already fused and it's always on.

Jake
04-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Good idea, I want to put 1 under each seat, and 1 strip in the back of the cubby below the HVAC knobs

notsoaveragej0e
04-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Eh, good luck getting them under the seat- I put mine under the footwells, which lights up a lot better. I also put four along the top of the headliner to light up the whole interior.

Jake
04-06-2007, 08:29 PM
My thought was, zip tieing them to the small round bar u pull on to move the seat forwards and back, but on the footwells is an option to. Its not as if they will be stuck there forever so I can play around and see exactly what I like :D

Jake
04-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey Bryan, isnt that your car on Customgrandam.com homepage? :D

Bryan
04-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey Bryan, isnt that your car on Customgrandam.com homepage? :D

Hah, yeap it is.