Automatic Transmission Questions. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transmission Questions.

Ivan
04-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Hello. I have a transmission question.
My father has 01 Grand Am GT with about 120K. He was coming home the other day, and his transmission started acting up. The problem was that when he starts out slow it seems like there is something spinning inside the transmission, and not catching but when it finally does the car jerks in to gear. He also said when the car is cold and in Park, sometimes it wants to go forward like it is in Drive. Also when the car shifts it jerks, and slams in to the gear, after searching this and other forums some peoples refer to it as “banging noise”. While searching i found out that it could be a solenoid inside the transmission and only remedy for it is to just replace the whole transmission. The hard shifting happened earlier this year also, but went away after changing the transmission fluid, and filter. My question is could this be anything else besides a solenoid? Also his rpms are around 600 while idling, possibly jerks because the rpms are low when the car shifts, and what is the normal idle speed, I looked in a manual, and the repair manual he has i couldn't find it but i could of missed it?
Thank you.
Ivan

gectek
04-07-2007, 12:26 PM
that is pretty close to normal idle speed, it sounds like a few hard parts inside the trans are going bad. first i would check the linkage from the top of the trans to the shifter and make sure the nut is tight on the stud on the linkage, because this is what keeps the car in park. other than that if it still tries to move while he is in park then he may have a parking pawl or linkage that is bad, making it not lock the transmission in park. the other things sound like bad bands maybe and also i would really look for anything contaminated in the fluid and anything bad on the magnet...looks like a major overhaul

Ivan
04-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Thank you for your reply, I will check out the linkage see if thats the issue with the Park. I guess i have to start looking for a used transmission.
Thanks.
Ivan

gectek
04-07-2007, 12:38 PM
check out car-part.com to find any close to you at a JY