LIM maybe? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM maybe?

AuroraGuy
04-09-2007, 06:37 AM
I am wondering if I am starting to deal with a LIM issue now.
00GAGT with 55K miles on it...

I am starting to see some coolant in the casting depressions under the TB
and thermostat neck area. I see a tiny trail of coolan from part of the head but it's so little its almost nonexistant. The thermo neck are is totally dry.

I degreased and cleaned the entire motor and it came back.
Its about 1 teaspoon (if that) and doesnt seem to get more nor does it drip
off.

My oil is still clean like honey and the coolant is still clear.

So (without photos at the moment) is this the start of the demise or perhaps something else? - The cooling system holds pressure for quite awhile even after shutting down.

If this is the LIM and I ignore it - what could happen? - this car is over 7yrs old and I am not sure I want to spend $$ at the dealer on a repair and can't handle this repair on my own.

BTW, does anyone have a guess how much a LIM repair is at the dealer if thats what I am dealing with?

-JD

alphawhisky
04-09-2007, 07:35 PM
hey,
sounds like the start of intake leak. with that engine you are almost always gonna get a little leak. but based on what you said it doesnt sound that bad. but i havnt seen it. If you ignore it and it gets worse you will loose coolant (and if you dont keep it topped off possible overheating and worse problem), also it is posible for the coolant to get into the oil. but mostly loose coolant. so i would keep an eye on the coolant level, check maby once a week. as far as price to fix, for parts i just bout the stuff for my intake, about $71.00 but that doesnt include valve cover gaskets probly $20.00 each and Oil and Filter what ever and oil change goes for, plus coolant not sure on price. the job pays about 6 or 7 hours (if i remember correctly, been awile since i did an intake). where i work we charge about 80-90 dollars an hour. so you are looking at about $150 ish for parts and about 630 for labor= $780 that is rough estamet i dont the prices at dealers around you. i have some pics of my intake (leaking pretty bad) i can send you them if you want, so you can see what a bad one looks like.

polo77
04-09-2007, 10:43 PM
i only paid 325 for mine i guess i got a good deal

Jake
04-09-2007, 10:56 PM
We did mine ourselves and it cost about 200 =)

WeibSunder
04-10-2007, 12:14 AM
I got my LIM fixed, altenator installed, fan module, and the motor mount welded back for $425. But my mechanic said that just the LIM would have been $300 even. Good luck, I personally would take it to a reliable private mechanic if you don't have a warranty because the dealership is gonna literally rape you.

AuroraGuy
04-10-2007, 07:18 AM
thanks guys. I will just keep an eye on it.
It never ever leaks enough to amount to anything and the coolant rez has never gone below 1/2 of its normal height.

So I will just top it off. It needs a flush tho - never been done yet.

-JD