Grand Am Problems? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Grand Am Problems?

Nina
04-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I read in one of the threads that GA's are bound to cause problems. And you will have to put a lot of money out towards fixing it. What do you guys think, do these cars have a lot of problems?

Sprucegagt
04-09-2007, 01:01 PM
There is a whole sticky section outlining all the most common problems with this car.

nascarnate326
04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Between LIM and power window problems, be set to spend a few bucks on it.

Exodus
04-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Between LIM and power window problems, be set to spend a few bucks on it.

Very true, but that is just a mere understatement. But if your one of the few lucky ones..... you have nothing to worry about.

Mirage85
04-09-2007, 01:38 PM
its like that with any car.... they all have water pumps go out, or the air conditioner will leak, any car you buy will develop problems over time. The best thing you can do is take the best care of it as possible, if you take care of it, hopefully it will take care of you.

gectek
04-09-2007, 02:07 PM
well i have only had 1 of the major problems listed on here and that is the wheel hub assy, other than that, just 6 bad injectors(not all at once) and replaced the LIM gaskets for preventative maintenance. i think that is the best way to go is even though it may me replacing something that isnt worn out yet, yet is the key word. that way you can get it replaced when u have the time and money, and not when its least expected, my power windows still work great, but they have the scratches just like all the others. is sucks, but you get used to it. they sure dont cost as much as the older cars when they break, and the new cars are still under warranty, but i have seen plenty of brand new cars off the line that wont even leave the truck, due to many different problems.

coupe
04-09-2007, 02:23 PM
its like that with any car.... they all have water pumps go out, or the air conditioner will leak, any car you buy will develop problems over time. The best thing you can do is take the best care of it as possible, if you take care of it, hopefully it will take care of you.

Exactly, never heard of a car with zero problems.

stangdude
04-09-2007, 02:26 PM
If you go with an 02.5+ the LIM problem has a much lower occurance percentage, The only real problem I had was the clips on the window regulator breaking, but I also sold the car at 49k miles so the higher mileage stuff didn't have a chance to happen. I was only putting about 7k miles a year on the car after I bought it.

gectek
04-09-2007, 02:27 PM
mines at 174k mi +, and still going very strong

Exodus
04-09-2007, 02:50 PM

True but not with the same repetative problems. My LIM gasket went 3X. First under the warranty, second the mechanic gave me a break, third was way too expensive so I said fock it, got rid of the car. The car was a 2000 model w/ only 53,XXX miles.

AznGA
04-09-2007, 07:07 PM
I would like to admit that Grand Am DOES have some minor/major annoying problems. Like already mentioned before, LIM leak, window problems, turnsignals, etc.

I am very fortunate to own a reliable Grand Am. I got my LIM gaskets replaced around 60k miles. I don't see any leakage at 113k miles. Besides the LIM gaskets, turn signal switch, and the airbag sensor(replaced under warranty), I haven't had any other problems.

Jake
04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
My Ga has been good to me, I've owned it since 110k miles. (Now has 140k) It had 1 previous owner (so she claims) and never had the LIM problem, then it happened to me IIRC at 125k. been though 5 Window regulator+motors total, Those are the problems I've had. The car was bought for $4K. With new battery, new front brakes and new tires.

drumking1721
04-09-2007, 08:33 PM
yea knock on wood....only prob ive had is AC motor,window issues....lim is leaking...but thats gonna be taken care of this summer...its slowly leaking...im just gonna change them when i do the ported goodies

drumking1721
04-09-2007, 08:34 PM
The BIGGEST problem is the engine being too small haha

Jake
04-09-2007, 09:20 PM
The BIGGEST problem is the engine being too small haha

:applause:

AznGA
04-09-2007, 11:50 PM
Well 3.4L is plenty for a V6. I wish there should have been more power out of it.

Jake
04-10-2007, 12:11 AM
ya..Wish they woulda made a Ga that came supercharged stock. And a 5 speed with the v6!!!!! :D

williamGT
04-10-2007, 01:53 AM
ya..Wish they woulda made a Ga that came supercharged stock. And a 5 speed with the v6!!!!! :D

would be nice....in all GT's with the sc/t package......just like the concept GA. 260HP.

onesexyga
04-10-2007, 01:57 AM
I hear a bunch of GA came with a mistake from the factory, 2 extra doors. Luckily mine only has 2. But seriously 2 doors = less window regulators to break.

Jake
04-10-2007, 02:09 AM
I hear a bunch of GA came with a mistake from the factory, 2 extra doors. Luckily mine only has 2. But seriously 2 doors = less window regulators to break.

So some came with 6 doors? :D Just kidding, I sometimes wish mine was a 2 door =)

Ajaxus
04-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Exactly, never heard of a car with zero problems.

while true, GM had the opportunity time and again to fix the LIM issues in later models, and they didn't. we shouldn't be having those problems happening as early as it does in some cars.

on the plus side since we've all had it we know alot about how to fix it and alot of members have done that. iirc parts alone are around $30-50 for fixing the LIM..if you pay someone for the labor you're looking at several hundred. hence why all the data on this site is quite valuable.

Ajaxus
04-10-2007, 07:08 AM

sorry to break it to you but we sedan's don't have that big of an issue with window regulators like you coupe's do.

actually, most if not all of those problems are restricted to coupes.

pwnt. lol

onesexyga
04-10-2007, 09:47 AM
actually from personal experience the sedans have had worse luck with regulators. Mine is a 2000 with original regulators. The only problem with my coupe is the plastic clip that holds the glass, but thats a 10 dollar part.

bryanw0087
04-10-2007, 03:46 PM
yeah 2 of my friends have sedans and both of theirs has the window problems, i havent had mine long only 3 months, but nothing was wrong with it yet that i know of through carfax and paper work showed nothing unusuall, only thing i have is the HUB assy, but it looks like an animal chewed my wires so im getting the ponytail that connects into the harness too and gonna fix that up, should have parts by tomarrow

Jake
04-10-2007, 04:08 PM
sorry to break it to you but we sedan's don't have that big of an issue with window regulators like you coupe's do.

actually, most if not all of those problems are restricted to coupes.

pwnt. lol

Ehhh, if that is true then Why have I been through 4 just on the driver side front. The back two broke, and i said screw it, No one sits in my backseats, so why spend money on new back regulators. If I would have replaced those, that would have been number 5 and 6, and, if they would have broke again, it would have been closing in on 10 total lol.

onesexyga
04-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah, i dont doubt the window clips break on the coupes more. Bad design to have such a weak clip holding such a heavy piece of glass. My guess is the bad reputation for the coupes came from dealers selling entire new assemblies just to fix the clip. Thats why mine are bodged by yours truly. Metal clips made from washers and bolts > plastic crap from the factory.

drumking1721
04-10-2007, 04:24 PM
I just used tinted plastic...much easier

Jake
04-10-2007, 05:55 PM
I replaced that peice as well ,the problem I have is the cable binding up inside, and then it all going to hell, only had a problem with the peice once, and replced it with metal, no more problems in that area.