Engine Noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise

ryangagt
09-01-2002, 05:41 PM
can someone tell me a little something about this. i put a set of components in my front and got engine noise, then when i put my rears in (a week or so later) i noticed they also have engine noise. so now im assuming this noise is comming from either my power wire from my battery or my rca's. if anyone can let me know what ill have to do to get rid of this id appreciate it. thanks

ryan

BMOBYLE
09-01-2002, 06:11 PM
Noise from components hmmmmmmmm:(
You could try running your RCA's down the left side of your car and your power and remote down the right side of your car.
Hate to ask this but are the components amped?
Some time your amp can also be the blame for eng noise.
Also what wire did you use and how does your amp ground look?
Make sure you have a good one and that you sanded any paint away that may be in front of your ground loop!

ryangagt
09-02-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by BMOBYLE
Noise from components hmmmmmmmm:(
You could try running your RCA's down the left side of your car and your power and remote down the right side of your car.
Hate to ask this but are the components amped?
Some time your amp can also be the blame for eng noise.
Also what wire did you use and how does your amp ground look?
Make sure you have a good one and that you sanded any paint away that may be in front of your ground loop!

yes my components are amped, i used 4 guage to a distribution block then 8 guage to the amp and 8 guage ground. ill have to take a look at that ground though. i grounded it in the trunk where the monsoon amp was so i know there is paint back there. ill have to sand it away and try that.

AmIGrand
09-02-2002, 01:43 PM
Bad ground is to blame 90% of the time.

TRy relocating the ground to a spot on the floor of the trunk, the Monsoon amp is grounded under the rear dec wich isn't as stable a ground. The floor is more direct, no welds.

ryangagt
09-02-2002, 06:47 PM
ill give that a shot and let you know what happens. thanks for the advice.

ryan

grass
09-02-2002, 07:49 PM
i ground mine to the antenna bracket, hooks up directly to metal, no sanding :)

Haunz
09-02-2002, 08:10 PM
Running your RCA's near a power wire is the problem the other %90 of the time :stupid:

But ya, if the RCA cables are away from ANY other wires and your ground looks good... then try another grounding point... (this includes your HU ground) if the problem still persists try some shielded RCA cable, idealy the twisted litz cable type...

grass
09-02-2002, 08:12 PM
90+90 = 100 :):stupid:

hehe j/k

ryangagt
09-02-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Haunz
Running your RCA's near a power wire is the problem the other %90 of the time :stupid:

But ya, if the RCA cables are away from ANY other wires and your ground looks good... then try another grounding point... (this includes your HU ground) if the problem still persists try some shielded RCA cable, idealy the twisted litz cable type...

i ran all 3 sets of rcas down the right side of my car and then my power and turn on lead down the left (and the speaker wire to the front speakers on each side respectively). i put the rca's and power underneath the panels on the floor that simply pop off. there are wires that were already there so they are near those wires, i dont know if thats causing the problem though. ill have to try to re-ground my amp ground. much easier that ripping all the wiring out again!