ABS light, C1273 code [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS light, C1273 code

normal
04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I recently had my car in to have the LIM gasket replaced (under warranty, since it was done a year ago). When I first dropped it off to test it, i had no problems of any sort. When i picked it up after the place testing the cooling system, they said my battery was going out. I knew it had been nearing the end of its life, however it had always started for me without hassle. I got there, the battery was completely dead... no clicks even. A day or so later, after attempting to jump and charge and check it, without much success, i got a brand new battery, put it in and have had no problems since. I had dropped the car off to get the gasket replaced, and then went to pick it up, and was informed that i had an ABS light on and my bearings were noisy. I immediately questioned when it happen etc, because for as long as i had the car it was never on. The only response i got was "it was like that when the car was dropped off" and "the abs sensors tend to corrode, and that is probably the cause." I was not too happy about that.

I now have the code read, and it is C1273 RF TCS Master Cylinder Isolation Valve Malfunction, and i am a little uncertain as to what could be the cause of it. I have read through many of the threads regarding ABS codes, most are the bearing assembly, but that is not the case, and I've read that if the battery or alternator is going out is would not provide enough power for the ABS to function, but i haven't had any other power related issues, nor has the light gone off once.

Any opinions or ideas? I obviously am trying to prevent having to take it to the dealer, although, it may come to that.

alphawhisky
04-11-2007, 05:10 PM
DTC C1273 VES Circuit Open or Shorted to Ground

this code is for verible effort steering. this is caused from a short or open in the VES circuts. there are three fuses in the underhood fuse block they are, ABS IGN 10A, ABS 40A, and EVO/ABS SOL 15A, also check the electronic brake control relay located in the underhood fuse block. check these things if it isnt one of them then you are probly gonna have to take to dealer. i looked all this up for a 2000 pontiac grand am. with not having the car infront of me this all i can tell you, unfortunatly, hope this helps. oh did you notice any difference in the steering when the light came on? it says when this code sets it defaults to full assist.

normal
04-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Those fuses were the first things i checked, all three, and I saw the relay was abs related, but wasn't really able to tell if there was a problem with it or not. As far as the steering goes, i never really noticed anything different, although ive focused on brake/abs related things. it seems confusing that the code i read off and the code you gave me seem very different...im not sure what to make of that...but certainly thanks for your help and i will be hopefully looking at the elecrtical connections on the motor pack, ecbm, and master cylinder, if the rain ever stops

normal
04-12-2007, 02:00 PM
I figured it out, and alpha you were correct, it was power assisted steering related. I was just looking at my haynes manual on the power steering pump, since that is about the only thing i would have known to check, and in the picture it points out the power assisted electrical hookup. Last weekend when i replaced my water pump, i recall looking down near the power steering pump and seeing a place where something should have been connected, but didnt see what. That is where the plug should have gone and after 30 sec. of searching i found the plug and got it hooked up, and instantly my light was off. It is a shame that the place tried to hide it from me and blame it on a bearing. I suspected it had something to do with the work on my car, but kept trying to convince myself it was pure coincidence. Thank you so much for your help, i wouldn't have even know to look for it and would have spent $100 having the dealer try to discover the problem.

alphawhisky
04-16-2007, 11:52 AM
sweet deal man, glad i could be of some assistance.