Yet Another Newbie Here [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Newbie Here

DomesticFreak
04-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey guys/gals...
Just came over here from j-body.org. I had to sell my Sunfire GT and decided to get an 01 Grand Am GT. I miss my Sunfire so much right now, because it was a 5-speed, but I'm sure I'll be in love with my grand am just as much. So, it's an 01 GT Coupe, with the chrome wheels. It has 58k on it, and has already had the Lower Intake Manafold Gasket and the upper gasket replaced (I'm well aware of those problems, so I only bought one if it already had that service done).
I'm loving this site right now, and I'll probably be here every day, just like I was on j-body...

Anyway, my new baby, dubbed "Black Bullet" (cause she's black :D ) will be under construction as soon as I get her tomorrow. I've already got the HID kit sitting in my apartment, and more parts are on the way.
The list includes:
Intake, off Ebay, with a K & N Cone filter
TYC Black Tail lights
Upper Front Strut Tower Bar
And
Drop Springs (I loved my Ground Control coilovers on my fire, and if I don't lower my Grand Am, I won't be happy)

And when I have more money to play with, I'll be getting new struts for the springs to sit on (till then I'll be running stock - I know, it's bad, but I WILL get new struts)

My old system from my fire will be in the Grand Am as well.
It is a Panasonic Head Unit, Apline type S 6 x 9's in Back, And 4" type S in front. 3 JL Audio 10" w3v3's in sealed boxes, and one 12" w3v3's in a ported box, 2 JBL Grand Touring Amps (600 Watts a piece) and 1 520 Watt Grand Touring Amp to the other four speakers.

As for other plans, most likely I will be getting a Borla Cat-back (Had magnaflow on my Fire), and will be getting either a Turbo, or Supercharger. Not sure yet.

My plan with the exterior is to keep it mostly stock, except for the tail lights, all I will do is tint the windows, and have my HID kit. I like body kits, but I'm really more about performance. And besides, stock looks good too.

The maybe in the distant future, I'll swap a 3.8L Series II, so I can swap the Auto to a Manual, and still have my 3.8L.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to all the help I can get from this site, and have already learned a lot.

pyro
04-12-2007, 02:27 PM
*welcome* but dont plan on that 3800 swap too much. Only one person to date that i know of did it completely, and he was having dual PCM issues that had no fix. ;crap

Exodus
04-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Welcome.
Its good that you tested the water b/4 you jumped in. Getting smacked in the face w/ a $1200 bill for an LIM fix is NOT COOL.

JohnnyB4439
04-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Welcome my friend, enjoy the community.

Rich
04-12-2007, 09:32 PM
*welcome* but dont plan on that 3800 swap too much. Only one person to date that i know of did it completely, and he was having dual PCM issues that had no fix. ;crap

x2. the easiest swap would be an eco mated with the MT and then add a turbo or something cool. but you can throw a MT on the 3400, im sure youve seen those over at j-body.

Nina
04-13-2007, 08:00 AM
Hey:) shoulda gone with the white...but I guess black is nice:angel

DomesticFreak
04-13-2007, 09:18 AM
x2. the easiest swap would be an eco mated with the MT and then add a turbo or something cool. but you can throw a MT on the 3400, im sure youve seen those over at j-body.

Oh yeah, I've seen them.
But, I don't want to swap an eco. I'd like to stick with a 6cyl. The grand am as you all know is heavier than the j-body, and Even though I liked my 2.4L that I had, I just think it would be a bit under powered in the GA.
Just my thought.

Rich
04-13-2007, 09:38 AM
yeah, i have the 2.4 and its quick but not quite enough. and the v6's have be known to get better gas mileage too.