Simple A/C question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Simple A/C question

unity1
04-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Here's a simple question, i hope. I want to recharge my a/c system using a canned coolant/hose/guage combo I bought at Wally World. Where have they hidden the low-side coolant fitting on my 2000 Ram Air V6? I've looked from on high, and from under the car and don't see it. I'm told it has a blue screw-on cap. Thank in advance for any help you might give.

Gordon in G'Burg, TN

Sprucegagt
04-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Here's a simple question, i hope. I want to recharge my a/c system using a canned coolant/hose/guage combo I bought at Wally World. Where have they hidden the low-side coolant fitting on my 2000 Ram Air V6? I've looked from on high, and from under the car and don't see it. I'm told it has a blue screw-on cap. Thank in advance for any help you might give.

Gordon in G'Burg, TN

Are you familiar with automotive A/C systems and what low/high side pressures are required? If not I wouldn't try adding more R134A on your own. You can rupture high pressure hoses if you add to much R134A.

unity1
04-13-2007, 06:16 AM
In my search for the port location I've also come across a virtual "education" on auto A/C systems and several sites with pressure info on the Grand Am V6. I also intend to use the hose/guage combo to just check the existing pressure at the low-side port before adding any coolant. I am, by nature, very cautious when doing something for the first time. So, if I have any doubts, I'll stop and turn the job over to a pro. That being said, I deeply appreciate your concern and thank you for the timely warning!
You don't happen to know where that pesky port is hiding, do you?

Sprucegagt
04-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Let's use the search feature next time.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showpost.php?p=432329&postcount=10

unity1
04-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks for your patience...typical newbie mistake.

gectek
04-13-2007, 12:29 PM
typical static(engine off) pressures, low side(blue) is temp outside, high side is temp outside...basically the outside temp is the pressure on the R 134a...and if you system is "a little low" there is a leak somewhere and u should find the leak first before you go filling more in. it is illegal to do that. and the running pressures will cycle because the system on the GA is a CCOT system, the low side press will go up to 45 and down to 25 with the compressor on, fan speed on 5, and the A/C button pushed and the ac on max setting, the high side will go from about 80 to 180...thats it

and u cannot blow the lines because there is a high pressure switch that will disable the compressor if the press gets too high

unity1
04-13-2007, 02:01 PM
info much appreciated, thanks

Sprucegagt
04-14-2007, 10:51 PM
and u cannot blow the lines because there is a high pressure switch that will disable the compressor if the press gets too high

Riiigghhtt. You add more R134A to the system than what it needs and watch what happens. There's a reason why the max refrigerant weight for the entire A/C system is listed on the front cowl.

gectek
04-14-2007, 11:20 PM
yah maybe because it has 2 high pressure safety devices, like a pop off valve and the high press sensor, in case the sensor fails the pop off valve vents...the reason there is a weight is due to the fact that the refrig system wont operate properly when overfilled, but it wont blow up

Malaclypse
04-15-2007, 09:05 AM
yah maybe because it has 2 high pressure safety devices, like a pop off valve and the high press sensor, in case the sensor fails the pop off valve vents...the reason there is a weight is due to the fact that the refrig system wont operate properly when overfilled, but it wont blow up

In addition, those hoses are easily rated for 430 psi.

gectek
04-15-2007, 11:01 AM
about the only thing that would happen is you break the internals of the compressor due to too much liquid in the system, but even those dont blow up when they break