Monroe quick-struts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Monroe quick-struts

mr03SCT
04-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Hi,

Has anyone installed these and found them to be reliable? Are they just as good as the original ones that come with the car?

I have 180000kms on my 03 Grand Am and looking to replace. Called the local GM dealer and here is what i got quoted:

$290 labour for front struts (same price for rear)
$317 for OEM rear struts and $430 for OEM front struts
$177 for AC Delco rear struts and $210 for AC Delco front struts

Seeing that this is just for the struts, I am thinking about getting the quickstruts and installing myself since these come with the mounts and springs as well.

Thanks.

geldartb
04-13-2007, 04:12 PM
i got mine for about 200 a piece. fully assembled. there doing pretty good so far. no problems with them here. i got them because my spring broke on me on a sat and there were no garages open on the weekend. and it would have cost more that what i paid for them to buy the spring and have it put on.

99GTCoupe
04-13-2007, 07:04 PM
First off, why are you going to a dealer? Go with a reputable repair shop, they should be cheaper.

Secondly, if you can do them yourself, do that. Save the money on labor, it's what I'm gonna do to replace my rear strut mounts and, a bit later on, my struts and springs. Course, you would need either a nice day or a garage. I know in the states you can goto Murray's (probably other auto stores also, but not sure) and rent the spring compressors, and there's a How-To guide in our section here that will show you what to do. They say you can have a friend compress them, but I'd rather go the route of getting the compressors and have someone help.

Anyways, just some things I was wondering. The struts should be good though, as far as I know all Monroe struts are good :)

AznGA
04-13-2007, 08:01 PM
I think QuickStrut is a great deal. I am looking to get them for myself as well.

Where did you guys get yours at? I can only find front ones on eBay.

B0000rt
04-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi,

Has anyone installed these and found them to be reliable? Are they just as good as the original ones that come with the car?

I have 180000kms on my 03 Grand Am and looking to replace. Called the local GM dealer and here is what i got quoted:

$290 labour for front struts (same price for rear)
$317 for OEM rear struts and $430 for OEM front struts
$177 for AC Delco rear struts and $210 for AC Delco front struts

Seeing that this is just for the struts, I am thinking about getting the quickstruts and installing myself since these come with the mounts and springs as well.

Thanks.

Are your struts gone? Don't fix if it ain't broke! I have 398,000kms on my 94 GT with the originals still! :D

If you DIY, I think Partsource will lend you some spring compressors.

FYI: http://www.partsource.ca/doityourself/JOM_April2005.asp

ryanbgb22
04-13-2007, 09:21 PM
buy kyb struts and do it your self. you'll be out about $250 for all four.

KeyserSosa2000
04-14-2007, 05:29 AM
My buddy did his own struts when he put his lowering springs on. He showed me a trick, albeit probably not a safe one, where you put the spring and strut on the ground between two of your tires. Then you put the air gun on one end of the assembly and put the back of the gun up against the other tire so it looks like this:

tire - spring assembly - gun - tire

If you push the tires tight to the gun and spring, if it jumps off, the gun is cushioned by the tire and you won't get hurt/break anything. It works pretty well.

ryanbgb22
04-14-2007, 02:11 PM
^ or you could by a spring compressor...

with out cars if your careful enough you wont even need one; but i'd still recommed it.

gt2000
04-16-2007, 12:57 PM
While we're talking about struts and springs... On first glance of ryanbgb22's avatar/pic, I thought his Grand Am was in the air flying.

damatrix99
04-19-2007, 08:50 PM
just put a pair up front and they ride very nice. $160 a piece at pep boys. hope u got one around

GodsendGAGT
04-19-2007, 09:46 PM
i bought from summitracing.com and andysutosport.com i forget who had cheaper front and back but between the two it was like 230 and i went ahead and bought springs and lowered my car you know while your down there go ahead and fix everything lol

stillriza
04-20-2007, 08:53 AM
My left front strut makes an annoying sound and the qoute from the dealership was 900 to replace it (that is with labour)..so ya..dealership are the worst way to go.

I will end up buying the struts myself and probably springs to lower the car and have a reputable shop put em in. but How are the kyb struts in terms of quality?
I read somewhere on the forum that lowering your car will negativly impact your struts, as in..shorten the life of your strut. Is this true?

Mirage85
04-20-2007, 09:36 AM
buy kyb struts and do it your self. you'll be out about $250 for all four.

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA4001/GASUSP/KYB+Factory+Replacement+Struts.html

That would be what your talking about correct?

I read somewhere on the forum that lowering your car will negativly impact your struts, as in..shorten the life of your strut. Is this true?

I believe this is what you would want if your going to lower it: $538.00 before shipping

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA4009/GASUSP/KYB+AGX+Sport+Adjustable+Struts.html

AznGA
04-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Yea, if you want to lower your car, you probably should get AGX's. I currently have Eibach springs and KYB GR-2 struts and I have so many issues with this set up. GR-2 struts are really made for the stock riding height. I just completely regret lowering my car.

ryanbgb22
04-20-2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.pfyc.com/pc/GA4001/GASUSP/KYB+Factory+Replacement+Struts.html

That would be what your talking about correct?

/GASUSP/KYB+AGX+Sport+Adjustable+Struts.html[/url]

yes it is. pfyc is more expensive than alternative sites though, i got my set for like 240 shipped. ANd as far as the kyb gr2's with lowering springs, theres many people on here that havent had any problems, myself included.

ryanbgb22
04-20-2007, 11:52 AM
and $900 to replace a strut is the most rediculous thing i've ever heard. stay far away from that place.

NorKoastal
04-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Are AGX's still > these in terms of the lowered crew??? Im about to buy some AGX's soon for the front..

Mirage85
04-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Are AGX's still > these in terms of the lowered crew??? Im about to buy some AGX's soon for the front..

Im still trying to find out about what springs people are using with them.....

Alot of the the threads on them people never updated on what they did, or it goes off topic...