Need Help Please: Coolant Reservoir Cap Will Not Come Off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Please: Coolant Reservoir Cap Will Not Come Off

zegoldfish
04-13-2007, 06:28 PM
I must have cross-threaded the coolant reservoir cap because it will not come off. I tried to force it, but the two parts of the cap separated and I can't get a grip on the bottom half of the cap to remove it.

I've already ordered a new reservoir and cap, but in the meantime my coolant level is low and I need a way to get some more coolant in there. Would it be safe to punch a hole in the reservoir and seal it up with some JB Weld until the new reservoir and cap get here?

Any ideas please?

gectek
04-13-2007, 06:32 PM
no not a good idea at all...u mean the local parts store doesnt have one? it needs to be able to breathe to relieve pressure in the system and regulate the pressure. also just use a pair of channel locks or vice grips to take it out. if you need to fill the level, just take a hose off(like the ones in the top and fill those with a funnel.

notsoaveragej0e
04-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Use one of these

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10344534/2_pc_Rubber_Belt_Wrench_Set.jpg

zegoldfish
04-13-2007, 07:08 PM
no not a good idea at all...u mean the local parts store doesnt have one? it needs to be able to breathe to relieve pressure in the system and regulate the pressure. also just use a pair of channel locks or vice grips to take it out. if you need to fill the level, just take a hose off(like the ones in the top and fill those with a funnel.

Duh! I must be too close to the project to think of something so simple as filling from a hose. :blushing: That or I'm just dumb. :P

notsoaveragej0e: I've already tried, but there's no way to get a grip on the lower half of the cap. Plus, I figure at this point if I do get the cap off I won't be able to get it back on, since it has separated.