A Few Questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions

DomesticFreak
04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
1. What is ETS exactly? I know it's some time of traction control, maybe, but what is it exactly...

2. Does anyone know how wide the top of the windshield is?

3. Did the Monsoon system come with any kind of subwoofer?
3 a. What type of wattage are we talking about with this thing... Just wondering, cause I have a whole system, I just need to put it in first...

Anyway, thanks guys...

I'll be posting pics of my car soon, seeing as how I just picked her up today.

onesexyga
04-19-2007, 01:11 AM
1. ETS is traction control. It limits wheel spin by applying the break to one wheel.
2. no idea
3. the rear 6 x 9's are DVC so theyre supposed to sorta be subs, but theyre more just woofers.
4. Im not sure exactly. I know one set of leads on the DVC are amped separately.

Congrats on the black gt coupe. Best style by far.

Oh, and dont buy a 74 corvette unless you really like emmission controls and lack of power. 57, 63, 67 ftw.

DomesticFreak
04-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Alright. Thanks.
Oh, and I said 74-ish... I know about the emissions and stuff and I haven't really decided on what year/s to get yet... But that's a long way off.

kuecker_dj09
04-19-2007, 11:14 AM
the monsoon stereo is very insteresting. the front speakers use the factory amp in the reciever, while the rear 6x9s use the monsoon amp. i believe the RMS is 25x2 for those 6x9s. they are sorta DVCs cuz they have two connectors, one for the low freqs, and one for high freqs.

pyro
04-19-2007, 11:54 AM
1. ETS is traction control. It limits wheel spin by applying the break to one wheel.

wrong. ETS limits the power to the wheel that has lost traction, not apply the brake to it.

kuecker_dj09
04-19-2007, 12:05 PM
wrong. ETS limits the power to the wheel that has lost traction, not apply the brake to it.

so thats y i can burnout very well.....

cardude007617
04-19-2007, 12:05 PM
then how's this:
lets say the road is thuroughly wet right? and i take a right turn at ~20ish. i always feel like the brakes go on with out me actually touching the brake. no ets light, no brake pedal, foot still lightly on gas or completely off the gas........

notsoaveragej0e
04-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Most stability systems have a laundry list of power control: retarding spark, limiting fuel pump, rev limiting, and in more advanced systems individual brake modulation.
(this is for stability in general, not specific to the GA, although some are applicable.)

In some cars, (merc's I think) when you let off the gas pedal quickly, it poises the brake calipers at a "ready" state, which means they are like.. almost ridding the rotor to prepare for a quick stop or a loss of control situation.

cardude007617
04-20-2007, 11:36 AM
so why do the brakes go on sorta when/if i slide the car on a turn when its raining? cuz i can swear, the car is doign somethign im not haha

pyro
04-20-2007, 04:29 PM
its not the brakes...the car is limiting power to that wheel so it isnt spinning as much as the other. it feels like the brakes but it is not.

cardude007617
04-20-2007, 10:25 PM
but, the ETS light isnt going on like it does wen i drive in heavy snow

pyro
04-20-2007, 10:41 PM
then it seems like something isn't right, i would have it checked out.

cardude007617
04-20-2007, 10:52 PM
well but like, its good! haha cuz like it stops me from sliding or wat ever. and like the light DOES go on if i "help it along" to spin in snow. so my point is; the ETS works cuz i can feel it working in snow; like the tires will slip then like stop sorta...u know the feeling.
get on aim if u can

bballr4567
04-20-2007, 11:13 PM
The ETS light will NOT come on if you just barely slip the wheels with it on. Plus the low trac light will come on rather then the ETS light.

Also the GA uses the retarding spark option when the ETS kicks in to make the engine lose power and therefor less power to the wheels to make them stop spinning.

cardude007617
04-21-2007, 01:04 AM
ok, sounds close enough^^^. has anyone actually spun one of these out? without actually wanting or asking for it? cuz like it seems to correct it right away