3.1 running hot [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 3.1 running hot

PlayWitEmotionz
04-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Yes i searched, and got many ideas, many different solutions, but it seemed like most were for the 3.4, so i have to ask. Do the 3.1's run hot, like 3/4 of the way up on the temp guage?

little history. Bought the car, needed the lim gasket changed, did it, flushed the crankcase, changed the oil, didnt flush, but drained the rad, everything looked clean, filled with 50/50 dex-cool and water. start the car, notice the temp rising fast, turn the heat on, no heat, air is cold, then I hear a ticking/popping sound from the t-stat, and the coolant tank. shut the car off, coolant coming out of the filler cap, wait for it to stop. Start the car back up, noises are gone, and the heat works now. I think everything is ok, just figured the noise and water coming out of the overfill was either, systeem purging itself, or i overfilled it.

Now, while im driving the car, after about 10 minutes, the temp. guage reads normal, but in traffic, or going slow, the guage SLOWLY rises up to about 3/4, maybe a little more, havent drove it enough to see if it will overheat though. fan works, and coolant is good.

Is there a bleeder valve on the 3.1's for the coolant system? My fan works fine, but i did notice when i got home today, i popped my hood because i want to figure out what is wrong, and there was a steady hiss of air coming out of the fill cap. Could it be bad, and not sealing?

Any help would be appreciated guys, thnx.

PlayWitEmotionz
04-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Now my damn engine light popped on. I whent out and pulled off my coolant fill cap, inspected it, put it back on, and came inside. About 3 hours later i whent out to move my car, and the damn light was on. Im gonna go get it read tomorrow, but maybe before them, someone has an idea, given what i asked above?

OH, and my car is a 1997 GAGT

B0000rt
04-22-2007, 10:44 PM
There's a bleeder screw on top of the water pump.