Vibrating Tensioner [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating Tensioner

BiGSHUN
04-22-2007, 06:45 PM
i replaced my water pump last week (FYI: the pics in the "how to" section were great).. and ever since then i've been hearing this rattling noise.. at first i thought i might have left some tools in the engine bay..

after a closer look, turns out the tensioner is not set in place.. the tensioner has this probe on the top back end of it that fits into a slot and i can't get it in there because the belt is too tight... THEN when i set the tensioner in position i don't have enough slack in the belt to loop it around the tensioner..

any suggestions???? - i've searched and found nothing. i drive a '04 GAGT

BiGSHUN
04-23-2007, 12:12 PM
anybody???

lone_wolf025
04-23-2007, 12:36 PM
I'd just replace the tensioner. The thing should automatically keep the proper amount of tension on the belt without any adjustment.

justinw
04-23-2007, 01:18 PM
To take tension off of the belt (if this is what you are asking) they recommend using a 3/8" breaker bar fitted into the tensioner 3/8" socket. I always just use a prybar.

So take the belt off, put the tensioner in its proper place, and pull it back with the breaker bar, then slide the belt on to the idler pulley near the alternator. (That always works the best for me.)

Sometimes it is a really tight fit...

BiGSHUN
04-23-2007, 11:17 PM
thanks.. i'll give it a shot tomorrow night when i get off work.