97 3.1 help please [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 97 3.1 help please

gobraves00
04-25-2007, 01:12 PM
like title says, i have a 97 3.1 that has been good to me for awhile but recently i have come across some problems.so, my dad being a mechanic is helping me take apart my engine to reveal my problems.my upperintake gaskets were gone, and the inlet for the coolant has deterriated over time, so now i need a new head valve cover.while i have all this taken apart id really like to go ahead and do some performance upgrades, but really have no clue where to begin or what to do. this car is not my daily driver, sits in the garage unless there is a show on the weekends, then i put it back in there.i have done searches on here and have found some stuff, but most people on here that are asking questions have some knowledge about this, ihave zero. if some1 with this knowledge can help please post or they can pm me. lke i said i have done searches on here, i just cant find any threads for dummies. price isnt in question here, though i dont wanna throw alot of money at it since i dont drive it all the time, but i wanna be able to pop the hood at shows and get some points this year. if any one can help that would be great, thanks

Sprucegagt
04-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Moved. Not boost related.

angrysk8r
04-25-2007, 04:43 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68087

Keep in mind I did this on a 3400 and not a 3.1. There should be minimal differences, and the main one I can think of is that you'll need to basically completely remove the passenger side engine mount to remove the power steering pump (just make sure you're supporting the engine from underneith with a jack before taking the mound off).

gobraves00
04-26-2007, 01:20 AM
sorry, thanks for the move
i just read your how to, its right on
im hoping for some help in decinding what to do next.
and if you suggest something, who do u recommend for the parts.
im not planning on going and racing it when im done, i just wanna dress it up with the right equipment

angrysk8r
04-26-2007, 10:07 AM
I just used whatever they had at napa, seems to work fine. Although I'm sure other auto parts stores like autozone or o-reilys would have nearly identical parts.

gobraves00
04-26-2007, 01:57 PM
how much did all the parts cost for everything you did?
i am really wanting to do turbo, but i dont wanna fix it and find that i need to get better parts down the road for the upgrade.any suggestions on what i can get thats basic and what i need that would be along the lines of the turbo setup?

angrysk8r
04-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Stock parts and gaskets would be ok with a turbo setup...but if you wanted to go all out you could get better heads, ported LIM/UIM, and higher flow injectors. You're better off researching for more on boosted setups though