Gauges -- Electrical Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gauges -- Electrical Problems

midnight89
04-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Hello All,

My girlfriend has a 2002 Grand Am SE. She just started the car up this afternoon and none of the gauges in the instrument cluster are functioning properly (speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, temp. gauge). Additionally, the air conditioning will no longer send out cold air and for some weird reason the radio remains on (and plays) after I remove the key from the ignition and open the driver's side door.

This sounds a bit odd to me. I've checked a few of the fuses and everything looks OK. I know the radio typically turns off once the keys are out of the car and the door opens, however for some reason it is continuing to get constant power. Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing all of these symptoms.

Thanks guys!

Bryan
04-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Was the stereo wiring recently messed with?

midnight89
04-25-2007, 05:48 PM
"Was the stereo wiring recently messed with?"

No. The car still has the stock radio in it and it has never had any troubles. The car itself hasn't had any troubles of any kind at all and all of these problems started this afternoon. Seems like with everything that's going haywire that there is one common element that would explain it, however I just can't figure out what that one common element is! :-)

midnight89
04-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Bump....you guys have any thoughts as to what could be causing this?

gectek
04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
yah sounds like a maxi fuse or some splicepak or common harness. in detail you said the gauges do work, but the radio wont go off and the a/c wont blow out cold air. now when u turn on the a/c does the compressor come on, also will the blower motor work in all speeds and will the mode change from register to defrost to floor vents?

gectek
04-26-2007, 03:17 PM
ok the radio not turning off will be body code B2965, either 1 of 2 results...shorted wrie to BCM or bad bcm....

midnight89
04-26-2007, 04:58 PM
yah sounds like a maxi fuse or some splicepak or common harness. in detail you said the gauges do work, but the radio wont go off and the a/c wont blow out cold air. now when u turn on the a/c does the compressor come on, also will the blower motor work in all speeds and will the mode change from register to defrost to floor vents?

Thanks for the reply. NONE of the gauges are working...speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge and temp gauge....they are not giving a reading at all.

As for the more particular information on the A/C, I'll go take a look at that further.

RE: your post below about the radio, given everything that's not working properly I wouldn't be surprised if it's the BCM.

gectek
04-26-2007, 05:03 PM
so when you turn on the car do the gauges self test? like do a full sweep

gectek
04-26-2007, 05:07 PM
i would look for a IPC/BFC ACC Fuse 1 10A...it is in the left side of the dash in the fuse panel there, both the BCM and the IP cluster are fused there

that may be the root of ur problem, because that connector there goes to the theft deterrent as well, and may be making the radio stay on for some reason

EDIT...also fuse #37...there are alot of fuses that show a remedy to what u are talking about, but i wonder why they all might have blown

midnight89
04-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Cool deal....thanks for the reply. I need to go jump the car to test everything out because the radio (or at least the clock) stayed on all last night and killed the battery.

As for the gauges self test, they do not do the typical full sweep (i.e. when the tach goes from top, to bottom, and finally to the actual engine RPM). They don't move at all.

gectek
04-26-2007, 05:17 PM
the self test happens automatically, when u turn the car on they sweep to show you they are working. if not then look at all of the fuses in the left dash panel and the maxi fuses under the hood as well to make sure they are not blown

actually check all the fuses, under the hood and on both sides of the dash, i mean all of them to make sure they are good. there are so many that are interconnected.

gectek
04-26-2007, 05:26 PM
this diagram shows how interconnected all the power fuses are for the BCM...i would check those first

midnight89
04-26-2007, 06:34 PM
this diagram shows how interconnected all the power fuses are for the BCM...i would check those first

Do you have the link to the diagram?

gectek
04-26-2007, 06:39 PM
i thought i posted it....here it is
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66421

post #6

orangeone
11-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I have a similar problem with my gauges on my '99 GA exept mine will sometimes work and sometimes not. I could be driving down the road, look down to check my speed and look down a second later to see some or all of the gauges die. If I let my foot off the gas for about 10 seconds or hit a good bump, they will come back . Sometimes just the tach will work, sometimes just the temp, or sometimes nothing. It is really annoying not knowing your speed. And it will do it continually on a short or long drive. I moved the ground wire, as someone told me that might help. Any ideas? I was going to change the whole unit, but don't know if that will fix the problem. If I do, will any unit from '99 and up fit? This is the only posting I've found with a similar problem to mine.