'99GT won't start, dies, cluster lights go crazy! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : '99GT won't start, dies, cluster lights go crazy!

DeborahPHS5270
04-29-2007, 09:47 PM
This car is a '99 GT Coupe with only 45,000 miles on it. I've barely driven it the last several years (4,000 miles since '04) so it's spent quite a bit of time in the garage.

About 8 months ago, the car would crank but wouldn't start (has new battery). At this time, the cluster gauges were still acting fine. My husband took it to the dealer her in town (not Pontiac) and they cleaned the fuel body. Seemed to work but between my not driving it, not trusting it, we didn't know for several more months the problem still existed.

Like I said, the original problem was just a starting problem until one day I trusted it and took it to town and it wouldn't start. Tried about 20 times and still nothing. Called my husband and he came and just cranked and cranked and it died and died. When he finally got it started, ALL of the lights and needles would do nothing........I drove it 25 miles home and parked it, afraid to drive it again. The next day, it started right up and all guages worked. The next day, I tried it again and it would not start. my husband got it started that night and put it in the garage where he noticed that when he shut the car off the odometer light and the battery light stayed on . The next day the battery was dead so we charged the battery and started the car and everything worked again. We drove the car periodically and noticed that every time we were about to have the problem again the same two lights would stay on when the car was shut off. So we would unhook the positive battery terminal and everything would work and those two lights would not be on. When the problem was going to occur the trunk would also pop open on its own.

nate2023
04-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Please dont judge me on this crazy answer but my dads truck started acting funny, hed turn on his headlights and his brake lights would turn on and his radio would turn off and other crap like that. turns out he had 1 blown fuse. This probably isn't the answer to your problem and i'm not sure how the wiring is compared to my dads truck, but it was fine after changing the fuse. Maybe you have one blown or the connection is wierd.

OR....

since the battery light stays on, it could possibly be the ignition switch.

gectek
04-29-2007, 10:39 PM
well that is a reasonable assumption, and also maybe a bad ground somewhere, there are a few grounds on the car so the first thing is to get the history of the car. what has happened to it, what has been sreviced....any accidents or body panel replacements, any aftermarket stuff like radios or alarms

DeborahPHS5270
04-30-2007, 04:02 PM
well that is a reasonable assumption, and also maybe a bad ground somewhere, there are a few grounds on the car so the first thing is to get the history of the car. what has happened to it, what has been sreviced....any accidents or body panel replacements, any aftermarket stuff like radios or alarms

Hi again........well, the history of the car is that it has 45,000 miles, one driver (me), brand new when we got it, regular scheduled maintainence and oil changes, only one major repair was the replacement of struts probably about 5 years ago. No problems with the car overall. No accidents or damages, no new radios, alarms etc. Car same as when purchased in 1999 and as black & beautiful now, that's why this is SO frustrating! I love this car! The starting problem started in fall of last year sometime. The cluster lights acting weird just started February this year after my husband roughly started it.....story to follow. (Yes, I'm blaming him!)

#1: My husband finished my original post because I was getting frustrated just talking about this so he finished it for me. He wanted to see what someone would reply before he gave the last part of this story, I guess. I would have stated, had I finished the original post, that the starting problem was the ONLY original problem, it was STRICTLY a not starting issue. You could and can hear the fuel pump click on when the key is turned. The cluster problem started later............................especially after what I call the "mean" start by my husband.

#2: This cluster problem just started a few months ago when I took it 25 miles away, had it parked, came back to it several hours later and tried to start it at least 20 times. I called my husband, he came and tried to start it and I believe he was a little harder on it than I and by that I mean, I never gave it gas or tried to force it to keep running whereas I THINK he did. WELL, after he got it started, I didn't have a single light or dial or needle work in the cluster!! I drove it home with no use of even a speedomotor. By the time this was over with, I was so frustrated with the car that I didn't drive it for another few days. When I went to drive it, again it wouldn't start because THIS TIME, the battery was dead. This was an entirely new development. The battery is new. I hooked the charger to it and it started fine. All gauges worked and we then just went back to the original starting issue.........for a while. Then about 2 weeks ago, I was at the DQ window, had it in park and when I put it in gear, it died. This was a first while the car had been running.

#3: Took it to a different Pontiac dealer on 4/26/07 and explained the problems. The codes came back IGN CODING ERROR AND CLASS II COMMUNICATION and FAILURE CODE PRESENT so they replaced the switch 2.188. YEAH!!!! NOOOOO!
After writing a check for $342.82, I got in in, turned the key over and it started. YEAH!!! NOOOO!! Put it in drive and it died!!!!!!!!! This is only the second time it acted this way once I got it started.

I drove around to the front of the dealership where my hubby was in his truck and reluctantly told him what happened. He went back in to tell them and I sat there messing with it. Well, while he was in there (of course, with no one to witness this but ME AGAIN!) I started it several times and it was fine. On about the third start, it wouldn't start. Tried again, and it wouldn't start and when I shut the key off, the whole cluster blinked on and off about 4 times. And, the needles went up and down at least twice! Tried to start it 2 more times and had luck on the 3rd. It is now sitting at the dealership because and NO CODES are showing up for them at all now. Do I go get it or what????? I'm right back where I started only their holding my check and waiting for it to happen to them when they start it so they can computer check it again!!

One more little detail.........I had never noticed my key sticking in the ACC position before but maybe I was just used to it and now I'm paying too much attention to things but the key does now get held up in the ACC position and then is easily turned completely off after I do a little adjusting. The switch they replaced (OK, this is where I'm going to sound like a girl but a girl that grew up around mechanics)........2.188, this isn't where the key goes in, is it? So, how can there be this new development?

HELP!!!!! ANYBODY!!!!

Thanks,
Deb

gectek
04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
the dealership sounds like a hack if they have to wait for codes before they do anything. i think u may be looking at a few things. first off look at the OCM to make sure it is not fried. if it is then you will need a new one, new coils and a new pigtail. this happens alot from prolonged cranking without the car starting. check all 3 connections(2 on one side and one on the other). the no start may be ignition cylinder related and maybe bad comm with the BCM to the PCM, but that cannot be checked until you can get it to start and make sure they are communicating. i would look at the ICM first, then ALL of the fuses and see if you find anything.

DeborahPHS5270
04-30-2007, 09:16 PM
the dealership sounds like a hack if they have to wait for codes before they do anything. i think u may be looking at a few things. first off look at the OCM to make sure it is not fried. if it is then you will need a new one, new coils and a new pigtail. this happens alot from prolonged cranking without the car starting. check all 3 connections(2 on one side and one on the other). the no start may be ignition cylinder related and maybe bad comm with the BCM to the PCM, but that cannot be checked until you can get it to start and make sure they are communicating. i would look at the ICM first, then ALL of the fuses and see if you find anything.

Dear gectek,

Thank you for answering again. I'm glad that you said that about the dealership because I can't imagine that if a mechanic is depending totally on codes that this is ever going to be fixed. This is not a dealership we're that familiar with. Why do you suppose that the codes did go away when they changed the ignition switch ........yet the problems are still there? Evidently, codes aren't always 100%??

Is all of the info above for the no start problem?

#1: One more thing I remembered today and this is probably unrelated. But, it was the first "break down" that this car has had concerning small things I thought was just due to age. But, about a year ago, several months before the starting problem this past fall, I noticed the digital numbers on my radio were all screwed up..........parts of the numbers missing and the volume knob doesn't control the volume the way it used to (several rotations to turn up or down). This is probably just a stand alone radio malfunction??

#2: Another thing.........at one point when I told you the battery was dead on two occasions, we discovered that after the battery was charged, the car would start with no problem for 8 or 10 starts. After fooling around for several weeks (before taking to dealer) we started to see a "pattern" in that if we couldn't start it, my husband would unhook the one battery cable/hook back up and the car would start. This happened numerous times to the point where I just made sure I had a wrench with me. My son thought that maybe it was resetting the computer??

Can I ask you a favor? So that I can sound like I know what I'm talking about as far as talking to the dealer again, would you please tell me the meaning of OCM, BCM, PCM ......... as I said, the cluster was perfectly fine until all that cranking went on a couple months ago. Probably 10 times on my part and 10 or more when my husband showed up to help.

I'm passing this info on to my husband and I thank you SO much for your help! Anything else would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Deborah

gectek
04-30-2007, 09:44 PM
ok
1. sounds unrelated maybe, but the BCM (body control module) may be bad, but i doubt it due to it being just related to the internal workings of the radio.

2. i would also look for the cause of the dead battery. what you should do is pull a fuse one at a time and see if that stops the batt from dying, if so it is something on that circuit. that is the way to do it. then just keep going like that. i would find that first.

also BCM means body control module, PCM powertrain control module, those are the only 2 to worry about
BCM controls all the body controls inside the car and lighting and sounds, the PCM does everything mechanical to operate the car

cardude007617
04-30-2007, 09:48 PM
maybe the car is haunted!!!!! haha

DeborahPHS5270
05-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Cardude.............thanks! Have to have it checked out!

Lab Rat
05-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Sounds alot like you do not have enough current.
If you have not done so you should pull the battery terminal connections. Clean them up bright and shiny.
Then peel back the insulation and see what the wire looks like. It may be green and nasty in there.
The cars systems NEED alot of power and if the wiring is bad you can get all kinds of problems (pretty much like what you are describng.) And don't neglect to check the grounds. They are as important as the power wire to complete the circuit.
Good luck.

gectek
05-01-2007, 02:50 PM
well for that matter it could be a battery that the internal posts are corroded as well.