Steering Noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering Noise

99GTCoupe
04-30-2007, 03:15 AM
First off, it's late and I have to go to bed. I looked briefly through a search and nothing seemed to look right. Don't flame me. Anyways.

Tonight as I pulled out of work, I noticed that when I turned my wheel I heard a moaning/groaning/possibly rubbing sound coming from the front of the car. This only occured when at a stop or under 10 mph. I check the power steering fluid, it was low, and bought some (luckily there's a Meijer's next door), and topped it off. Still doing it. Drove home (Ann Arbor to Keego Harbor, 45ish miles) without any issues, no sounds or anything. Pulled into driveway REAL slow and there's the noise. WTF?!

If you've seen all my posts, my power steering pump was replaced recently so I know it -shouldn't- be that. Any ideas with estimates? I'm so pissed it's not funny. Oh, and it seriously came outta nowhere. I would have noticed that noise if it was happening before work. Not a problem until I started the car and pulled out.
:sigh:

williamGT
04-30-2007, 04:19 AM
your rack could be going.

jellyfish420
04-30-2007, 07:30 AM
racks don't so much make noise. sounds to me like either the pump, or a dry tie rod socket. and since your low on fluid, you probably got a leak somewhere, and the system got an air bubble in it. it may be as simple as fix a leak and re-bleed the system.

99GTCoupe
04-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Fun.... so should I be able to let this wait until Wed to take it in? I have to work today and tomorrow. I figure it's not -too- bad since it's only when stopped, so... I dunno ><

edit: dunno if it helps, but I have a torn cv boot on the driver's side.

justinw
04-30-2007, 10:46 AM
I have a similiar problem- the sevice manager said the intermediate steering shaft needs lubrication. I haven't tried fixing it yet.

He also said that disconnecting it and pushing it through the firewall and back several times could get you another 30k out of it (b/c it helps lube it up with what grease is left in the shaft sheathing...

99GTCoupe
05-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Anybody else with any ideas?