Solicited Advice [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Solicited Advice

matthar924
04-30-2007, 05:24 PM
So, my 99' GA is up to 156k. Just dumped 540 into tires, tie rod and alignment...normal wear items but found the LIMG leak (I think the upper was replaced under warranty over 80k ago), need new brakes and rotors, probably tranny fluid change, and probably the EBCS or whatever is done. It could either be that or a wheel hub (just had the first hub done at 150k). Either way, the car is warning me the low trac light popping on, and then some slight hesitation when getting started out....almost feels like a tranny slip.

So anyhow, I'm looking at damn near 2 grand to put this puppy up to nearly ideal running condition. Thanks to the tie rod repair, I no longer get tennis elbow from the steering wheel shaking so much...and I must say that has been quite enjoyable to hit 80mph again.

So, I'm soliciting advice...should I buy another car and get rid of the GA? I can pretty much guarantee that in 6 months, I'll have to drop at least another thousand into repairs on this thing. I really don't know what I'd buy as a replacement except it will be used, and I'd like something comparable to the GA in size....but really don't want to spend more than 15k.

I'm thinking that my best option would be to try and get this thing to last without making the repairs and just roll up to trade in on something else. I just really don't want another car payment and I'm enjoying only paing $36 a month for insurance on the GA.

Feel free to post any opinions, as I'll use them to help make a decision.

Thanks in advance!

DrFabulous
04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
Part that mother out. It's no longer worth it. Maybe even keep it and buy another low-milage GA?

lone_wolf025
04-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Dump it. Its not worth it.

kuecker_dj09
04-30-2007, 06:04 PM
yea ive had some shaky steering like that around that speed too....but it was just my tires needed to be re-balanced

matthar924
05-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the input, but as much as I like this car for it's styling, I'm not buying another GA. I thought about tackling the LIMG with my brother, but I really don't have the time or the patience to do it. Aside from that, I might just live with the hub out for a while and keep an eye on the coolant level and make sure it's not mixing with the oil. Hopefully that'll get me through a few months and then strip out the stereo and dump it on a dealer. I couldn't fathom screwing over some poor schmuck by selling it outright. Oh well, looks like the GA days might be over for yet one another sucker.