Low RPM and Service Pricing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Low RPM and Service Pricing

Quaf069
05-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey all,

Last week I had a problem when I started my car. I had little power and it barely started. I was basically diving in "limp" mode as I could not accellerate very much and it was switching into gears quite hard.

I got home ok. I then restarted my car...and it started fine. Anyways, now I noticed that My car is idling at a low RPM, or at least I think it is. It seems when I start the car up, it is right near 1000prm, then its goes down to like 600-700rpm when idling or stopped at light. Is that low???? The car seems to be running fine when cruising are drivign at higher speeds, there is no hard switching into gears.

Anyways, I wanted to have bases covered for the normal Maintenence. My car has 93K miles on it. I just got the fuel injectors cleaned, fuel filter changed and my spark plugs replaced, I also recently replaced my air filter. I picked up the car from the dealer and still had the RPM issue. The dealer didnt seem to concerned.

Any throughts on this??

Also, the dealer charged me $560 bucks to clean the fuel injection, replace spark plugs and replace the fuel filter.....does this sound right???

Thanks for your input.

Mike Jung
05-02-2007, 07:10 PM
About 650-rpm idling is normal, after it gets up to it's normal operating temperature.

DomesticFreak
05-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Well, mine Idle at 550-650 RPMs so, That sounds normal.
As for the slow acceleration, I'm not sure, but it could be related to what the dealer did.
And I may be wrong, but $560 seems a little steep for a Fuel system cleaning, Spark Plugs and fuel filter. You probably could have done it yourself for under $150. And if not yourself, probably could have gone to another shop and got it done for about $250-$300.

gectek
05-02-2007, 10:01 PM
could be MAF related, with the whole bad shifting and no power problem, and yah anything over $100 is highway robbery for that stuff(on labor) the wires are like $50, plugs are like $20, fuel filter is like $12, injector clean is like $60 or 80, so yah i would have done that myself and let another place clean the injectors...then use some GM top engine clean for the rest

Quaf069
05-03-2007, 02:48 AM
thanks guys for the input. What is MAF...what does it stand for???

B0000rt
05-03-2007, 07:04 AM
thanks guys for the input. What is MAF...what does it stand for???

Mass Air Flow Sensor, it's located between the air filter and the throttle body. It measures the amount of air flow going into the engine and adjusts the amount of fuel to be added to the cylinders accordingly.

coupe
05-03-2007, 07:19 AM
$560, you got man handled