HVAC Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HVAC Problems

yahuli
05-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Every single winter it's the same old thing...

On some cold morning the old lady gets up to go someplace. She turns on the heater switch but nothing happens. She leaves the switch on, which ends up burning out the resistor module.

I personally would think that the fuse would burn out first, but I couldn't be that lucky! So, for the past 4 years that I've owned my GA, each spring I end up crammed under the dash replacing that thing!

Any ideas on how to keep the fan from freezing up in the first place? I would appreciate any suggestions.

PS- telling her to turn the switch OFF if it doesn't work doesn't do any good either. You know some women- they never listen! :leg

Thanks in advance,
Andy

gectek
05-04-2007, 10:35 AM
well it sounds like you may have a shorted motor, that is really the only way that the resistor block would burn up. or do you mean the air temp door...i said 2 different things, she leaves the heater switch on, you mean the blower motor switch and she leaves the temp control on all hot correct. otherwise there has to be a short somewhere making the current flow go up or else the component would not blow up. i would check the wiring and the motor to make sure...also make sure the motor doesnt bind or the cage isnt binding or caught on something.

u mentioned it doesnt work...u mean the heater or what? u mean it (the blower speed sw) doesnt work because she already burned it out or it just doesnt work at all even with a new resistor block

yahuli
05-04-2007, 12:41 PM
well it sounds like you may have a shorted motor, that is really the only way that the resistor block would burn up. or do you mean the air temp door...i said 2 different things, she leaves the heater switch on, you mean the blower motor switch and she leaves the temp control on all hot correct. otherwise there has to be a short somewhere making the current flow go up or else the component would not blow up. i would check the wiring and the motor to make sure...also make sure the motor doesnt bind or the cage isnt binding or caught on something.

u mentioned it doesnt work...u mean the heater or what? u mean it (the blower speed sw) doesnt work because she already burned it out or it just doesnt work at all even with a new resistor block

Correct- she leaves the blower speed switch turned on with the air temp set to hot. BTW, it will throw heat once the car is moving (from the moving air passing in through the outside intake ducts). The blower motor does runs fine again after the resistor module is replaced, and yes- I always make certain that the motor/cage doesn't bind on anything.

This only happens during winter- occasionally if the resistor module hasn't blown yet, after a while the heat coming through the intake ducts outside will actually thaw the blower motor out and it'll run again. I know that the motor is freezing in the cold (moisture trapped in there or something) because sometimes even aiming a hair dryer at it for a bit will unthaw it.

It's just that, eventually when she doesn't feel like unthawing the motor anymore, when she leaves the blower switch on, that resistor module burns up. After replacing the module, it'll work great all summer long- until the weather gets colder and the blower motor freezes up again.

I guess that I could always try a spritz of WD-40 in the blower and see if that displaces the accumulated moisture this coming winter. If not, then simply replace the motor.

yahuli
05-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I got the new resistor module today, but beforehand, I tore it apart and had the dude at the garage look at the motor- he said that it definitely wasn't shorted out and that WD-40 would definitely displace any moisture that might be causing it to stick during our very cold winter months.

So, all is working again now. If it blows out again next winter, she can take it to the garage. :P

gectek
05-04-2007, 06:02 PM
well i would look at the insulation on the outside to make sure it is sealing ok and make sure the drain tube is pointing the right direction and not clogged up. that would keep the moisture in there from the evaporator, so make sure that is ok.

yahuli
05-06-2007, 12:49 AM
well i would look at the insulation on the outside to make sure it is sealing ok and make sure the drain tube is pointing the right direction and not clogged up. that would keep the moisture in there from the evaporator, so make sure that is ok.

Nice idea- I wish that I'd thought of that! Will do on Monday- thanks for the tip!

--Andy