Parking hte GAGT for the summer [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Parking hte GAGT for the summer

FuriousG
05-09-2007, 10:29 AM
I know it sounds backwards but I have to park my GAGT for the summer due to a military deployment to Baghdad. I'm wondering, is there anything special I need to do to ensure that it is okay when I get back in November? I've already bought a car cover for it (unfortunately, I don't have a garage available to me.) I'm already planning on an oil change as soon as I get back but what else should I plan for? Is it better to fill the gas tank up or leave it at a 1/4 tank like it is at the moment or does it even matter. I would put it up on blocks but there's a slim chance my wife may need to drive it sometime if the Caravan breaks down so that's out of the question.

Any constructive advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

drumking1721
05-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Personally i would keep less gas in the tank,less gas wasted ya know?

Exodus
05-09-2007, 11:54 AM
How are the summers in Germany, are they brutal?
When are you packing up to Iraq?

FuriousG
05-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Summers in Germany aren't very bad. It gets into the 90's now and then and it rains a lot but otherwise it's pretty nice.

I'm leaving for Quatar on Monday and I'll head to Baghdad about a week or so later.

Exodus
05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
I think your car should be fine under the cover, just remind your wife to check the tire pressure if she decides to drive it after its been parked for some time.

Good luck in Iraq :flag:

jackal2000
05-09-2007, 01:17 PM
make sure she starts it up once a week or so.

notsoaveragej0e
05-09-2007, 01:47 PM
make sure she starts it up once a week or so.

I would only do that if she was going to drive it and bring it up to operating temperature... I think moisture forms in the oil pan or something if you don't let it reach operating temps.

jackal2000
05-09-2007, 02:30 PM
I would only do that if she was going to drive it and bring it up to operating temperature... I think moisture forms in the oil pan or something if you don't let it reach operating temps.

i should have stated that instead of implying it. ;crap she doesnt even need to drive it persay just let it warm up before turning it off. i did that for my buddy's lancer when we was deployed for 6 months over the winter. he came back and had no problems with the car.

silverse
05-09-2007, 05:44 PM
you should fill the gas tank and put fuel stabilizer in it if it is going to be started occasionally for storage.

tenspeed
05-09-2007, 06:48 PM
I agree, fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer. It should be started and moved around every couple of weeks. Prevents brakes seizing up from rust.

ledfreak
05-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Bring it up to Hanau & I'll take good care of it 'til your back, plenty of space in the parking lot !! :D

Just kidding, definitely follow the advice about driving it every couple weeks otherwise you will have brake problems when you get back. Operating temp is important too since our 3400s are prone to the LIM leak & driving it at temp keeps the seals moist and your engine leak free.

pyro
05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
i can't believe nobody mentioned flat spots on the tires. i would have her drive it every so often so it can ruin and move. flat spots ftl

coupe
05-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Just have you wife drive it a few miles every month, its really that simple.

schizm99
05-13-2007, 09:46 AM
I park my GAGT every winter and all last summer. I fill the fuel tank and add marvels mystery oil into the gas and oil. I do not start it until I am ready to run it. However since the wife may run it. I would suggest that she do so every 2 weeks or so. A couple trips to the store or what not. I haven't had any issues as of yet. The stereo capacitor has run my battery down this year for unknown reasons though. Good Luck!!

Mike Jung
05-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Don't forget to recharge the battery before driving, when you come back.

You don't want to kill the alternator.