LIM leak, raw fuel smell [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM leak, raw fuel smell

AleroB888
05-10-2007, 01:03 AM
At the track had an intermittant rough idle, turned into permanent misfire, eventually SES for Cyl #5, white smoke out exhaust. In the middle of this, had strong smell of raw fuel, seemed to come from lower rear of engine, not from injectors (should mention here I had a leak at rear exhaust header), but could not see fuel leak. I did see coolant leak on driver's side of LIM. Removed Intake and fuel rails, energized fuel pump by turning on ignition, no leakage past injectors.
Removed LIM: (note the dry, clean spot on the intake port)
http://shutter05.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/09/007/7F/E9/9F/2B/GGs60NlyO+9nKakLQJUpGf3DNq92TD1S0300.jpg

http://shutter05.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/07/00A/5F/FF/B5/C4/LygqFuG3ckFwmhtPtqwnq6p8MmuIZGfm0300.jpg
1) Should I go through the hassle of checking the head gasket at this point, or just replace the LIM gasket (@$75.00)?
2) At the GM dealership they said I also needed new LIM bolts, because the old ones "stretched", @ $5.00- $7.00 each! (but they did not have them in stock). Yes or no?
3) Possible injector sticking open?

iceman
05-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Can help you with #2 as it's come up quite a bunch. LIM bols are not torque to yield, you can re-use them if you reapply the proper loctite. Head bolts are torque to yield and should be replaced.

Sprucegagt
05-10-2007, 07:47 AM
1. Do a compression check before going any further. If it checks out okay I wouldn't bother with the head gaskets.
2. See Iceman's post.
3. You have a stuck injector. Replace it and get the fuel system cleaned.

gectek
05-10-2007, 02:20 PM
well if you had an exhaust leak and a misfire...that would cause the raw fuel smell. and usually if the misfire is bad enough itll disable the injector on that cylinder. i dont remember if the GA has that in the computer but alot of the GM vehicles do.

brim
05-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I didn't have a raw fuel smell that I could notice

my car was blowing white smoke, and if it's blowing white, you've got coolant leaking into the port, and if it was going quick, it's probably a head gasket

I thought otherwise for some reason, didn't see a good solid break on the intake gasket on the cylinder i was having trouble with, i changed the gasket and fired it up and still the same misfire.

head gasket was toast on cylinder one, barely noticable on the gasket itself but the cylinder was washed clean, could've been a hairline crack