Debating over intakes/superchargers [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Debating over intakes/superchargers

eve
05-12-2007, 05:23 PM
I just now read the "I want to make my Grand Am faster, what do I do? FAQ," which helped me tremendously. I just want to know personal opinion's now rather than cold hard facts. Which is better to invest in? And I am damn sure not installing anything myself, so do you guys think it is worth the labouring costs for super/turbochargers? I'm leaning toward CAI, but is it at all worth going for a super/turbocharger? Thanks boos!

PhantomLover007
05-12-2007, 05:57 PM
I like the quote. Sound like some Ranger type ****.

eve
05-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Ranger-type ****?
A park ranger?
A power ranger?
A red-neck ranger?

And thanks for answering some of my questions. Honestly, thanks.

Mike Jung
05-12-2007, 07:21 PM
...Which is better to invest in?...
Use the money $$$ to buy another car next time, that is 'fast' ? ;)

How about save your money, & invest in the stock market through diversified mutual funds ?

(You will need it sooner or later, for the repair bills on the GA.)

IMO, if you want. Get the CAI.
& skip on the blower or turbo for the GA.

Invest your money else where.

^
Edit: I know I am going to get flamed for saying that.
But the money I am spending on keeping my 9-year GA running in top shape is getting to me.
Now where is that Pontiac G8 GT ?
(& where is my money $$$ lol )

eve
05-12-2007, 07:28 PM
I don't really care in investing. When this car konks out, I'll just buy another it's not like they cost three arms and two legs. I'd like to focus on this car for now. I guess CAI is the best for my situation, I just thought I'd get other's opinion and your's is nice minus the erraneous information about 'investing' in stocks... All I wanted to know if it was worth getting turbo vesus getting CAI, not if it was worth getting anything else or 'investing' in anything else.

Mike Jung
05-12-2007, 07:28 PM
oh, yeah...

:rumor: May I suggest a CAI with a S&B filter.

PS: Don't mind me. I am in a sarcastic mood, after a long day at work.

eve
05-12-2007, 07:33 PM
That's fine, no worries.
Thanks for the info.

AaronGTR
05-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Well, boost (super/turbo charging) and a simple cold air intake are really in a different league. They are about at the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of price and ease of install and maintenance. There is a whole range of things in between too, and it really just depends on how much money you want to spend, how fast you want to go, and how much extra work you're willing to do.

You can just get a CAI, a cat-back exhaust, and a few other simple mods that will make a noticable power increase and the car will still be dependable. A little more money and you start getting to cams, heads, headers etc... then you start needing bigger injectors and custom tuning to get it running well with all that stuff since it's further from stock. After that is boost, which I think is great and makes a totally unique car from other grand ams.

Make no mistake though, once you boost you will have to spend a LOT more money and time on the car. Most places won't know how to boost it or tune it properly though, so it's up to you to learn how. Since you said you'd have someone else do it I'd say thats out for now. If you are just starting, then start with the simple mods and see how you like them. After that it's totally up to you to decide if you think it's worth it or not. :thumbs:

ganut
05-12-2007, 07:40 PM
If you got the money, get the blower. You'll never want a non-boosted car again.

btw do you have the 3400 engine or the 4-cyl?

eve
05-12-2007, 09:48 PM
I have a V6. Ok, thanks guys. This can be closed or whatever the hell you guys do. Thanks, again!