Horn ring needs replacing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Horn ring needs replacing

USRobo
05-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Replaced the multiswitch because of the ticking sound and must have damaged the copper ring around the steering wheel. Pontiac dealer wants $27 dollars for the part and $300 to replace the horn ring.

They claim it takes 2 1/2 hours to replace per their book. Is this something I can do myself?

What could have happened to this ring? I think I bent it a little putting on the multiswitch but it still makes contact.

$300+ is too much to pay for this repair. Can anyone help.

USRobo

iceman
05-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Believe this has been posted before.. look around and post back if you can't find it

AeR0
05-16-2007, 09:22 PM
hey man i did the exact same thing you did... **** i was pissed..

so what i did was took it to a autobody shop since they work with columns quite a bit b/c of theft recoveries and i had them put a whole new wheel and column in, one that had cruise buttons too!

another option you could take is, cut that brass ring off than put your multi switch back on only problem is your horn will not work.

depending on how badly bent it is you might even be able to bend it back with some pliers, or i remember looking at it and thinking about just cutting out the bad spot and putting a piece of wire there so that my horn still works, been so long since i ****ed mine up i cant really rem what other ideas i had.

good luck though, let me know how you make out.

AeR0
05-16-2007, 09:24 PM
give this a read too:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47031&highlight=fixing+multi+function+switch