need to install rev limiter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : need to install rev limiter

DucksInARow
05-19-2007, 07:11 PM
All,
I know that this is going to sound weird but here it goes...

I have a 2001 Grand Am SE 4 cyl. I want to control the rev limit. I'd like to be able to limit it to 3,000 rpm. Is there some device I can get which is capable of programming the computer to limit the rev to whatever I want it to be?

Thanks.

angrysk8r
05-19-2007, 07:40 PM
There is a PCM programmer called a powertuner that you could use to specify the rev limit, but it would be ill advised to set it to 3000 rpms...

cardude007617
05-19-2007, 10:11 PM
why would u want to tho?

mfuller
05-19-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't know if the PowrTuner has 4-cylinder support.....but I know HPTuners does and you should be able to set it.
Have a new driver that you need to keep under control?

GrandAmGT1996
05-19-2007, 11:30 PM
That could actually be dangerous, considering if you have to accelerate fairly quick getting on an on ramp or something...Id reconsider it to maybe 4500RPMs or something around there.

lvemy3100
05-20-2007, 09:19 AM
powrtuner does not support the 4 cyl.... YET (hint.. hint)

but as stated above HPTuners does currently support the 4cyl

jackal2000
05-20-2007, 11:23 AM
That could actually be dangerous, considering if you have to accelerate fairly quick getting on an on ramp or something...Id reconsider it to maybe 4500RPMs or something around there.

there are different limiters. there is one for park and neutral and then there is the one for overall engine speed.

kuecker_dj09
05-20-2007, 09:07 PM
my rev limiter is 4,000 rpm. but thats in park and neutral. i can floor it in any other gear other than reverse and almost redline.....jackal is right. if you are rolling forward, and shift to neutral and rev the motor, it wont have the rev limiter.

please, we all want to know why you want it that low?

timberwoof
05-20-2007, 10:05 PM
My limiter only kicks in while in park, at 4k. In neutral it goes all the way to redline. Found that out when I acidentally hit the shifter while flying down the highway. That's one sound I don't like.

jackal2000
05-20-2007, 10:15 PM
My limiter only kicks in while in park, at 4k. In neutral it goes all the way to redline. Found that out when I acidentally hit the shifter while flying down the highway. That's one sound I don't like.

go out to your car and rev it up while in neutral and not moving, tell us what happens.

DucksInARow
05-20-2007, 10:19 PM
The reason why I want to limit the rev is because I have had several bad experiences when taking my car to a shop to get tires, alignment, etc. I have the 5-speed manual transmission and for some reason the stupid technicians like to beat the crap out of my car when they drive it. I HATE THAT!! I've never had anything major done to the car. The only things I've taken the car to a shop for is for tires and alignment. Everything else I've done myself, so there's no reason why some stupid technician should have to take the car on the freeway or for an extended joy ride. So the next time I take the car to a shop I want to have some level of control over how they treat it -- this is why I want to limit the rev.

silvergtjrad
05-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Very clever!

Rich
05-20-2007, 10:35 PM
well, like they said you can get HP tuners but thats like $600. seems a bit much for just what you want it for. unless you want to tune the rest of the engine, in which case you should go for it.

bballr4567
05-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Or how about you dont let them drive it or go for the drive with them or you drive it.

DucksInARow
05-21-2007, 01:35 AM
Yes I have done my best to go on the drives with them when I can. Once I had to drop the car off and get back to my job so I couldn't go with them. I've only had to put the car in someone else's hands a very small number of times, but each time it makes me nauseated. I'm sure some of you (if not all) can relate.

The $600 isn't so bad because I do want to tune the engine. I've done so with my 2000 WS6, but I didn't know where to get a tuner for the 4 cyl. Thanks for the input!!

DucksInARow
05-21-2007, 01:45 AM
Also, what is it about the blasted coil housing that makes this thing missfire? I have to change it about every 40k or else it misses badly. What's causing the coil housing to fail so often??

Rich
05-21-2007, 01:56 AM
The $600 isn't so bad because I do want to tune the engine. I've done so with my 2000 WS6, but I didn't know where to get a tuner for the 4 cyl. Thanks for the input!!

i dont know what you tuned with before but im pretty sure with HPT youd be able to tune both of your cars. maybe that would make the price even more easy to swallow.

as for the coil housing thing, couldnt tell you.

SpyhunteR
05-21-2007, 02:28 AM
powrtuner does not support the 4 cyl.... YET (hint.. hint)

but as stated above HPTuners does currently support the 4cyl

YET!? hint freakin hint? Will it allow me to make a 3bar fuel and spark table instead of this measly 2bar table? Will it allow me to do a 7000rpm fuel and spark table too!!?!?!?!

PM ME WITH INFO DAMMIT!

cardude007617
05-21-2007, 01:16 PM
i think we all agree that this is a little silly and is prbly more dangerous than helpful

kuecker_dj09
05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
well now that i think about it, its similar to a vallet mode like if u had a turbo timer. you dont want the vallet to be doing doughnuts so u drop the boost. its the same concept. if you could only have the ability to change the rev limit before you gave it to them, then change it back when you get the car.

Malaclypse
05-22-2007, 01:04 AM
Its necessary to drive a vehicle on the highway after an alignment. Its easier to check for a pull going 70 mph than it is going 45. Also, a very slight pull won't show up until you reach freeway speeds.

I understand your concern for not having your car railed on but I'd highly reccomend you not do this. It could set up a very dangerous situation from which there would be no out.