Surging/slipping under acceleration-HELP! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Surging/slipping under acceleration-HELP!

dxtreme_85
05-24-2007, 05:45 AM
Started to happen yesterday. When I'm just sitting at a light, Car in Drive, and I begin to accelerate under medium to heavy load, the car feels like it's coming apart. The whole front end will shake and it feels like the tranny slips and grabs and slips and grabs all in one second. That translates to the wheels which feel like I'm getting wheel hop. I've noticed that putting the car into 1 or 2 manually doesn't allow this to happen, car accelerates normally. If I'm driving 25-30mph, car in drive or 3, and go WOT, it will NOT do this. Only from very low speeds or 0.

Shift solenoid?
Clutch packs?
Torque converter problem???

dxtreme_85
05-24-2007, 06:27 AM
New symptoms

Car was fine when cold. Didn't start acting up until under normal oper. temp.

Finally had it up to highway speeds, seems like it has a 2-3 shift problem. Takes 4 or 5 seconds to shift into 3, no power when it does, can hear trans slipping the whole time.

dxtreme_85
05-24-2007, 07:34 AM
ttt

coupe
05-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Any codes being thrown?

dxtreme_85
05-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Nothing. I might break out the Autotap tonight and see what I see

Anybody know anything in particular that I should be looking for.

One of the "car guys" here at work said it could be that my bands need adjusted. I don't know much when it comes to transmissions...could this help??

dxtreme_85
05-24-2007, 09:59 AM
bump

dxtreme_85
05-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Stuck a quart of trans fluid in it....cars the same

iceman
05-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Dude, you bumped a thread twice after barely an hour between posts... relax!!!

There's a huge thread on this very subject if you can't find it.. let me know.

Maybe what's going on in your avatar has something to do with transmission problems??? :duh:

hass
05-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Maybe what's going on in your avatar has something to do with transmission problems??? :duh:

LOL.
Owned
=)

Mike Jung
05-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Stuck a quart of trans fluid in it....cars the same
Not the smartest thing to do :eek:
When you don't even know if it was low in the 1st place (Thanks GM, for no ATF dipstick.)

Considering that the transmission uses the ATF under hydraulic pressure.

gectek
05-25-2007, 10:19 PM
yah it really doesnt sound like trans problems at all. sounds more like fuel or spark to me, that is the only thing that would cause all that bad stuff from ur car and make it shudder like that. look to those areas first, just because it happens under load and during shifts doesnt mean it is the trans, i would look to the spark first, since it happens when it is hot, look at the module or bad coils and or sensors...then fuel

also the bands on ur trans are non adjustable, those guys that told that to you remember the 350/400 and the powerglide, there arent many trans out now that u can adjust anything on really, esp external band adjustment

dxtreme_85
05-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Trans is bad. Took it to a tranny shop today and they hooked it up, scanned it, and drove it around the block a few times. When I drove it around yesterday, the motor was running fine, just couldn't get the power to the ground. When I got back from a 5 minute drive, I got out of the car and all I smelled was clutch material. The tranny guy said the pressure readings were all f'd up, and he suspects the torque converter was bad too. I'm taking it back on Tuesday and he's gonna start work on it.

Time to sell this car....

gectek
05-25-2007, 10:37 PM
well im wrong then, it all sounds very fishy though

AznGA
05-25-2007, 10:44 PM
How often do you burnout like in your avatar? Your 1/4 mile time is pretty damn good with the mods you have.

andrewe77
05-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Maybe it's time to stop abusing your car?