Steering problems, brakes problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering problems, brakes problems

DomesticFreak
05-24-2007, 01:56 PM
I did search for this, but I really couldn't find much.

My steering wheel, when I hit about 65+ shakes so bad, I can barely keep my hands on the steering wheel. So, I did the usual, re-balance the tires, which helped very little. Then I got an alignment, which didn't help at all.
Now, I've got a squeak coming from either the front driver or rear driver brake, when my foot is OFF the pedal. You can hear it at about 20 mph, and it's very loud and embarrassing. I was reading about the Caliper TSB, and I thought maybe that could be it, but the sound isn't a creak. It's a squeak. And it's a rotation squeak, as it turns into a chirp at 30. I can make it stop squeaking if I depress the brake pedal a little bit. I also applied the proper anti-squeal when I put on the new pads/rotors, and cleaned them very well also.

On that post with the TSB, I was reading how when some people had the problem with the caliper, it made their steering wheel shake. So I thought maybe it could have something to do with brake problem.

I can't figure out what's going on, so I'm asking for help.

bballr4567
05-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a rotor or pad problem. It doesnt cost anything to pull the tires off and inspect the rotors and pads and it could just tell you what is wrong with it. Ive been in a car where the pads were almost down to the metal and it made it almost impossible to drive at speed.

nate2023
05-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Mine did that when i had old Warped rotors on my front end the pad was hitting at every high point. when i changed the rotors and pad after doing the CV boot change, no shake. Could be your problem or not.

EDIT: forgot to mention that when i hit the brakes i barely felt it pulse in the brakes but it was bad enough at high speeds.

tenspeed
05-24-2007, 10:14 PM
The 65+ shaking is somethimg to do with the tires. Since you had them balanced, I would look for a broken tread.

The squeeking sounds like your brake pad is hitting the wear indicator.

DomesticFreak
05-25-2007, 02:25 AM
All right, but here's the thing. The PADS AND THE ROTORS are BRAND NEW. I don't know if I mentioned that, but they are brand spankin' new. Maybe 200 miles on them. It wasn't squeaking before I changed the rotors and pads, but they were badly worn. I took the tire off a few days ago, took off the pads and rotor to inspect them, and both are wearing fine. Nothing is abnormal.

The rotors are Brembo's, and the pads are Bendix Ceramic Metallics. I paid a pretty penny for them all too, and I'd hate to think it's the rotors or pads.

As for the tires, what do you mean by broken tread?

Rich
05-25-2007, 03:14 AM
not saying this is it, but theres still a chance you got some bad rotors new or not. when i read your post i was pretty much thinking bad rotors.

DomesticFreak
05-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Allright. So, maybe swapping them where I bought them will work. And if it doesn't, then It's gotta be the caliper or something I guess.

bballr4567
05-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Forgot to ask in my last post but did you break in the pads and rotors correctly?

DomesticFreak
05-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes. No hard stopping, easy braking, nothing sharp. A friend of mine told me try cleaning them up really well again with brake cleaner. Do you all think that would help? I mean, it's worth a shot.

EDIT: Maybe I'll go have the rotors turned. That would take them out of the equation.

homeskillit37
05-25-2007, 03:36 PM
With the shaking at only at a certain speed i would think a tie rod end would be going bad.

bballr4567
05-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Well some companies actually want you to break them in hard. Thats why I was asking.

gectek
05-25-2007, 09:30 PM
the squeak can come from a brand new set of pads, if you break them in or not, sometimes u get a bad set from a bad batch. also the balance issue...make sure when u have the tires balanced that they use a ROAD FORCE balancer, that is the only one that will simulate all road conditions and tell u what can be wrong. but im with 10speed on the faulty tire...and the squeak may be happening above 30, u just may not know it cuz it gets drown out. it could be a bad bearing, or maybe some mice running in ur wheels when u drive, sqeaking at low speeds and throwing the balance off when u decide to go 80...also look for any of the dust shields rubbing or anything else like that.

DomesticFreak
05-25-2007, 11:13 PM
With the shaking at only at a certain speed i would think a tie rod end would be going bad.

Tie rods an Ball joints are all good. I'm beginging to think it's the rotor on the driver rear. I'm going to go get another rotor, and if it goes away, then I probably got a bad rotor. The more I listen to it, the more it sounds like the pad is hitting a high spot in the rotor.

As for the tire issue, I've just discovered my Sway bar end links are bad. I don't see how that would make the tires shake at high speeds, but I guess it could possibly. Is that a possibility?

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm being a ****, it's just I've checked all areas ya know, and it gets frustrating. If what I said up ^^ doesn't work, I'm giving up and taking it to the dealer.

gectek
05-26-2007, 10:55 AM
yah i would replace the end links and see what happens, could be a cause

mrlithium
05-26-2007, 06:41 PM
sounds more like an effect to me.

williamGT
07-21-2007, 11:40 PM
I got the same problem now, there is play when i turn the steering wheel back and forth fast when parked....My tie rods and ball joint are good, could it be inner tie rods? feels like theres play in the inner tie rods, and also my rear tires are bald would that make my steering viberate? I changed all of my brakes last year. oh yeah could it be strut mounts? Im travelling 3000km on monday.

BTW: sorry to steal your thread.

nate2023
08-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Do you tires have a cupping pattern on the inside mainly, that is a strut problem. Do you hear any knocking noise as if its a strut mount. if you can spin the tires on the back really fast by hand (unless your brakes are graby) look to see if theres 180 degrees of where, it will be like half of the tire has more tread than the other, balancing usually does not correct that issue. my .02

nate2023
08-03-2007, 09:24 PM
i have a combination where the outer tie rod is starting to go and a strut mount on the same side so it shakes like crazy.