ABS and Air Bag light help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS and Air Bag light help

Archangel
05-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi there. I have a '99 SE and after I'm driving for a while the ABS light comes on. Then almost simultaniously the air bag light comes on too. The latter accompanied by hard shifting tranny. Wheh the air bag light is on, the transmission upshift with a wild kick. At least the ABS light should be a common problem among Grand Ams, since I test drove a brand new 45 mile example of a 05 GT yesterday and the ABS light came on during a short test drive. Anyone?

Mike Jung
05-28-2007, 11:28 AM
(Keep in mind, I am just guessing...)

I would recommend you check out your electrical system.

If the electrical system's voltage goes down while driving, the ABS system shuts down; & it is possible to cause other weird things to happen to your car.

Check your car's battery & alternator out.

Archangel
05-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Apparently the voltage regulator is bad and there's a an oscillation which apparently triggers the ABS and other lights. I'll replace it this week and hope it solves the problem.

Archangel
06-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Yeap, a new voltage regulator and no more AirBag or ABS lights. No more hard shifting tranny either. Thank God

SlimStyleGT
01-22-2008, 06:02 PM
How much did this cost you to fix??? I picked up the identical problems and it sucks!

I don't even know where my voltage regulator is... any help and guidance on this one guys?

You've done great things for me in the past, love your help! This site is great since my car seems to be a lemon and break once a month. :( I'd greatly appreciate any info you all can share with me on this. It is below zero here right now and I can't afford to pay anyone to fix it... so as little time under the hood I have to spend can save me lots of pain and frost bite!

Thanks in advance!

SlimStyleGT
01-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Ok... after more research on here I've learned it's in the alternator.

Honestly, how hard is it to do the alternator? Like I said... it's below zero here and not fun to be outside haha. My only concern is getting the belt back on I guess... the rest is a few bolts and the connections correct?

SlimStyleGT
01-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Alright, so upon more research - I have found a how to on how to swap the alternator.

Quick question though - are there any torque specs on any of these bolts for the alternator? I don't have a manual, so I have no idea... if someone has one - could you please check that out for me? I'll love you forever!

SlimStyleGT
01-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Torque specs anyone? I have the old one off and am going to pick up a new one. Otherwise they are just going as tight as my frozen hands can get them.

It's -16 here today... awesome. :P

nate2023
01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
EDIT button ftw. :)