Brake pedal very hard to press [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake pedal very hard to press

jryland
05-28-2007, 09:33 AM
My daughters 99 GT brake pedal is very hard to press. The front disks are ok and i replaced the rear disks and rotors as they were worn. But the pedal is still extremely hard ( no give at all). Brakes do work though it's just you don't get any feedback that they are being applied because there is no give in the pedal.

Without eninge on the pedal does give but when the engine is on the pedal becomes too hard.

Any ideas what the problem is or how to troubleshoot the component?

Thanks

lone_wolf025
05-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Hmm. Typically when the motor is off is when the give goes away. The part that makes the brake pedal easy to push is the vacuum booster. Pop your hood and look by the master cylinder. You'll see a hose going onto a fitting nearby. While the engine is running check all around the hose making sure its not cracked and/or leaking. Also make sure both ends are attached. One goes to the booster the other goes to the intake manifold.

nate2023
06-21-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm having the same problem, i got used to it, but it would help to know what it could be.

gectek
06-22-2007, 05:27 PM
prob vacuum booster like wolf said...

pongagt
06-28-2007, 06:50 PM
I have had the same problem for a long time. I just bought a new booster from advance auto parts for $76 and i'm ready to put it on. Has anyone put one on before where they would know if the master cylinder has to be disconnected and removed. It looks like it is going to be a major pita to replace.