Uneven brake ware [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Uneven brake ware

timberwoof
05-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Well I had to change my front brakes, again. The problem is when I changed the right side (passenger) the pads were a good as the day I put them on. When I changed the left side (driver) the pads were worn down to the metal. I asked around but the only answer I could get is that my Master Cylinder is going out and may have to be replaced. I hope this isn't the case. I'm hoping you guys can give me a little more of an idea about what it is. Where is the sensor which distributes the fluid to each wheel. I guess I've had this problem for quite a while, as it alsways feels like my rear brakes aren't working either, always having a hard time slowing down. What do you guys think?

lone_wolf025
05-28-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking Master Cylinder as well. I don't believe that our cars have electric brake control beyond what the ABS does when it engages. All cars these days split the master into two sections to split the brake force either to full front, full back or half front and half back. I'd say inspect your rear brakes specifically the driver's side and see if the wear is substantially less than the opposite side. If it is then you have your confirmation.

timberwoof
05-28-2007, 11:16 AM
hhmmm that's if I can get the drums off again. I had a hell of a time the last time I took them off.

lone_wolf025
05-28-2007, 11:26 AM
That's why I hate drums. Isn't there a pad adjustment slot?

timberwoof
05-28-2007, 11:54 AM
If there is I couldn't find it the last time.

lvemy3100
05-28-2007, 12:32 PM
umm.. sounds like your caliper is seizing up.. either its the piston not moving freely or you need to lube and/or replace the guide pins

if its the piston I would just replace the caliper on the one side...

lone_wolf025
05-28-2007, 12:39 PM
umm.. sounds like your caliper is seizing up.. either its the piston not moving freely or you need to lube and/or replace the guide pins

if its the piston I would just replace the caliper on the one side...

If its just one pad that looks new than its definitely that. I assume its the master since he said the pads are barely worn on the one side.

To the OP: Are the pads literally like new or is it just that one side wore down noticeably more than the other?

lvemy3100
05-28-2007, 12:42 PM
from my experience the master would affect both front or both rear.. not one side individually...

but it could also be an issue with the ABS not working properly

lone_wolf025
05-28-2007, 01:39 PM
from my experience the master would affect both front or both rear.. not one side individually...

but it could also be an issue with the ABS not working properly

I don't know about ABS but you might be right on the master. It all just depends on how the master is split. I don't have the maintenance info so I don't know. If the GA is front/back vs cross split then the master isn't the problem about his front wear.

timberwoof
05-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Well passenger side is not like new, literally. There is just hardly any brake ware. Some but not much. I guess you would probably call it, normal brake ware, where as the driver's side was down to the metal.

freeze12
05-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Its either a bad Caliper or You have to clean & grease the caliper pins.

lone_wolf025
05-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Well passenger side is not like new, literally. There is just hardly any brake ware. Some but not much. I guess you would probably call it, normal brake ware, where as the driver's side was down to the metal.

Strangely enough uneven brake wear between left and right sides of the car does happen. Assuming both driver's side pads were about equal (as in you have to really look to see a difference) then see how hard it is to turn the passenger wheel (if at all possible) with the brakes engaged just to see if they're engaging properly.