Install CAI, or not?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Install CAI, or not??

eve
06-01-2007, 10:15 PM
I got my car tuned up today and my mechanic is one of my really great friends. I asked him today if he'd install my CAI that I just recently bought and he refused to install it for me. He said it'd start throwing check engine codes and other miscellaneous errors that would cause more major issues in the longrun, anyways, bottom line is he said I should decide against it.

Thing is, I already bought it, it's been lying on my living room floor. I'm still interested in installing it, and I know I can always take it somewhere else and find someone who is willing to install it. It just bugs me that my friend is against it because I usually trust what he tells me, and it's making me second guess installing one. I'm easily persuaded I guess, but is there any bad flaws that have occured for those of you have have installed any type of intake? It's making me bug out.

Jake
06-01-2007, 10:23 PM
No.... and it wont throw any codes as long as the stock stuff and MAF are plugged in.. Just install it yourself it is very simple.

GrandAmGT1996
06-01-2007, 10:23 PM
ive never heard of anything bad happening, other then sucking water up through it if you drive through REALLY deep water. I would say go ahead and install it

PS- You could probably do it yourself

Jake
06-01-2007, 10:25 PM
That once happened to me... Got me pretty worried but I pulled over and when I shut the car off like 1/2 a gallon of water came out of the filter >_< but that was on a SUPER rainy day and i accidently hit a huge puddle... But I took it all off and dried everything off and all was fine. 2/3 the guys on here have CAI's we wouldnt put them on our cars if it would start throing codes and messing things up.

eve
06-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Wait, what happens when it sucks in water?

I'd attempt at doing it myself, but seriously speaking, I'd probably mess with something else and screw something up. I'm not an installing-type person. I ask my next door neighbor to install my own airfilters. It's a sad case. I'm a typical girl when it comes to the performance aspect of cars. And anyways, I'd prefer someone else install it, so if they screw things up I have someone else to blame.:)

Jake
06-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Hah well its understandable for never having done it, but I assure you, its a peice of cake :p. Well sucking up water obviously is not good but what happeend was it was basically clogging the air filter so the engine wasnt getting any air and it started sputtering and shifting hard so i stopped and thats when it all came out. I dont think it actually all got asucked into the engine because the pipe is so big that I dont think I was on the gas enough for it to suck that much water up such a big pipe.

lone_wolf025
06-01-2007, 11:42 PM
I can't say much that hasn't already been said. That being the case all I can say is that you really don't have anything to worry about. All it amounts to is that if you see a really deep looking puddle don't zoom through it (which you shouldn't do anyways). Beyond that as someone who owns a CAI, you'll have no problems with codes or long term issues.

Elderas
06-01-2007, 11:56 PM
If you can put vaccum extension peices together, you can install a CAI

plus theres tons of how tos and topics on it so it will be an easy thing to learn.

Bryan
06-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Doo it. What CAI is it?

eve
06-02-2007, 02:58 PM
So there's no serious flaws? I'm conviced, then.
I'll google some how-to's, I guess it'll be fuunnnn learning and trying something new anyways.

Bryan, it's a doctorspeed stage three.

lvemy3100
06-02-2007, 03:10 PM
So there's no serious flaws? I'm conviced, then.
I'll google some how-to's, ......

just search this site and you will find tons of info on CAI installs..

off topic- not that I am mad but I would think that more people would support the sponsors of the forums they post on instead of paying more for inferior products from anywhere else .. ;crap guess its just me

Bryan
06-02-2007, 03:58 PM
off topic- not that I am mad but I would think that more people would support the sponsors of the forums they post on instead of paying more for inferior products from anywhere else .. ;crap guess its just me

It sounds like she bought it before she was apart of the site but I agree.

onesexyga
06-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Well most everything has been said, but im not sure how much youve read up on the subject. When i first put on my CAI it shifted hard. I was getting worried. Then i read on the site that this can happen for the first bit. Couple days later it was fine, and sounding awesome. I really doubt there are any performance gains without other mods, but i love it for the sound.

lvemy3100
06-02-2007, 04:28 PM
It sounds like she bought it before she was apart of the site but I agree.

it was more of a general statement rather than anything against her and if she (or anyone else) did buy one as a result of being missinformed or unaware then I am truely sorry for not being a sponsor where she used to hang before she came here as it seems maybe it would be better for everyone if I was involved with a few more sites as well as keeping up over here...

eve
06-02-2007, 11:45 PM
I actually was a part of this board when I bought my CAI, but I wasn't aware of sponsors and I wasn't very informed about intakes in general. I didn't even know you were a sponsor, but I do now. It's all good in the hood.

lvemy3100
06-03-2007, 06:14 AM
It's all good in the hood.

I guess I will agree with that

eve
06-03-2007, 01:43 PM
ahahaa