Trans cooler lines leaking after radiator change [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trans cooler lines leaking after radiator change

ImpetuousRacer
06-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I purcahsed a brand new radiator from Performance Radiator today. Installed it. NOW, when I started the car, the lower trans line is leaking like a siv! Not where I screwed it in (I didnt cross thread), its where their crap fitting is installed into the radiator.

I dont want to have to reinstal a new radiator, huge pain in the ass. I read in the how-to, and it looks like you splice the cooler into the lines, but it still runs through the radiator? Can I just bypass the radiator. Can I get some pics. Thanks for the help.

lastyear4gt
06-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Take the lines off and see if the o-ring is missing off the end of the line and check to make sure it is all the way installed into the clip, that should fix your leak. You dont want to bypass the radiator, especially with the SC, the trans will get way too hot.

ImpetuousRacer
06-03-2007, 04:50 PM
I checked, and there doesnt seem to be any O-rings in the connection. There is a metal fitting that just screws into the radiator. I have it installed, not cross threaded with the tube all the way in. The inside looks different on the GM one.

My Radiator is different on the 97-98 Malibu then the 99 Grand Am when I search for it online. Performance Radiator said they're all the same. Not sure what the deal is. If there was some orings, I would have seen them.

ImpetuousRacer
06-03-2007, 09:21 PM
What if I bought a B&M Super Cooler.

Then, On the metal lines that connect to the radiator for the trans cooler built it, I take the metal line, let the screw part fall back, then slide on a rubber hose, clamp down, run the tubing to the B&M trans cooler, and clamp down. Same for the top portion.

This would bypass the system, and be supe easy. What GVW would I want on a stand-alone?

Sprucegagt
06-03-2007, 10:46 PM
The auxiliary trans coolers are not meant to replace your stock unit. They mention this in there installation instructions. Instead I would get the right radiator for your car. Sounds like "Performance Radiator" screwed up on their listing.

ImpetuousRacer
06-05-2007, 01:59 AM
I checked, and there are no stock o-rings to be found.

The seating arrangement for the line to connect to inside the aftermarket radiator is different from the GM one. The groove is a little deeper, and the mound is not smooth transition.

So, I got O-ring set, placed O-ring in the groove inside the radiator, used good amount of Teflon tape on the threads, and cranked down. I now have no leaks! I no longer have the blower, so I dont think the Trans Cooler will be a necessity. Thanks for your help guys!

:leg