Banging Noise? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Banging Noise?

The Beyond
06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
I have a 96 gagt 3.1 and ever since last saturday (rained like holy hell, drove throw a few 3 foot lakes in the road) ive been having brake problems... after the rain let up i jumped back in my car after i let it sit in my driveway for a couple hours and the drum breaks were acting crazy, i would step on the brakes lightly and the back brakes would completely lock up.. as if the ABS was messed up? idk, anyway after driving it around and slamming on the brakes a few times the problem went away, now today (Monday) when ever i stop and take off i hear some kind of banging under the driver side floor, is this from something being loose or what, it almost seems like the caliper is loose or something....

thanks - jake

GrandAmGT1996
06-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Ever think of taking off the wheel and just doing a visual inspection? On my old 96 GAGT, if I left it sit for a few days the brakes would kinda grab hard, but not very often. My brothers truck had the same problem, and I know on his truck it was something to do with a spring

The Beyond
06-04-2007, 02:30 PM
havnt got around to it today...o ya, i forgot.. when i bought this care a few weeks ago the guy told me he took it in for a checkup and the mechanic said the driver side ball joint was going bad... would this have anything to do with a "thumping" type noise... i heard they sqeel or something when they start to go bad?

GrandAmGT1996
06-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Signs of a failing ball joint start with a clicking or snapping sound when the wheel is turned and eventually turns into a squeaking sound at the end of a stop, when the gas pedal is used and/or also when hitting bumps.

pilgrimpete
07-03-2007, 12:01 PM
I had the same symptoms but thought it was bushings - it was the ball-joint on drivers side so it was replaced and the car drives a lot smoother now (and quieter).

Cost was about $200 for parts and labor.

blazerk5drew
07-16-2007, 06:43 PM
if the breaks lock up at the touch of the pedal i would have to say wheel cylinders although ive never heard of them going out just like that.

Malaclypse
07-16-2007, 09:14 PM
The rear brakes locking up but slowly starting to act normal after braking = rust on drums.

Its a common thing. If you have your rear brakes adjusted it won't happen near as often.