Car problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car problems

policeguybmh
06-08-2007, 01:28 AM
I have a question for anyone who can answer it. My cars passlock device contiually activates and I have to do the wait ten minutes in the on piosition and wait to start. This has happened about four times in the past month. So here is my question Is there any way to bypass this system so I dont have to do this all the time???? Any info would be greatly appreciated..!!! Thanks

cmoore
06-08-2007, 01:11 PM
I have had the same problem in my 02. Dealer said I have to have new sensor installed in ignition to correct problem about $500 Cdn... no way they could bypass. Perhaps a private garage might know how

Sensor now has completely failed and security light is on all the time by at least I don;t have to wait for the system to recycle itself

WeibSunder
06-23-2007, 07:53 PM
(1.) If you want the fastest way to disable the Passlock---You just need to be able to start your car one time. Start it--leave it running--put car in neutral-- remove your radio, but do not unplug it.(Let it hang)Reach inside to the left and locate 3 tiny 22 gauge wires wrapped in black friction tape.(Yellow, Black, and White Passlock Wires)These are with the Ignition switch harness. Cut the (Yellow Passlock) Data Wire (while the engine is running). Security light will come on and stay on forever--- this tells you that Passlock is disabled.(PCM is in fail enable mode)Tape up both ends of the Yellow wire. Your car will crank from now on with no worries. I would suggest that you add a toggle switch, though. Disable Passlock --- it's not necessary to add a remote starter. Do a google search for "Passlock I or II Disablement" to see the written document for adding the toggle switch.

(2.) The quick simple fix is just to cut the yellow wire and tape up both ends. I took a screwdriver to pop the cover from around the stereo and took out 4 screws. Then, pulled out the stereo. The 3 wires from the ignition are right there on the left. Start the car and cut the yellow wire. That's it. You won't have to replace the ignition lock cylinder until it falls apart. I don't have to worry about my wife and kids being stuck somewhere. I certainly didn't mean for it to come across as being complicated at all. Enevitably, someone will ask why this works.

cardude007617
06-25-2007, 01:11 AM
what good does PassLock provide?

cardude007617
06-30-2007, 02:49 AM
wow almost 5 days now and still NOTHING!!!! is passlock really that useless?

BrumrDan
06-30-2007, 07:04 AM
A noob here, but for the first 2 weeks of life with my GAGT, I couldn't get my after-market remote starter to work b/c of passlock, heres my take on the passlock system..

Depends on how you feel about passlock, if a thief tried to start your car without the correct key (ex. a screwdrvier, jimmy, or any other foreign object), or with no key at all (hotwire) passlock engages and shuts down the fuel pump and starter for a period of 10 minutes. A very handy little security feature when it works. :applause:

However it is known to engage at the most unfortunate times, or if you have an after market remote starter installed you need to have a bypass installed, to bypass the Factory alarm and Factory passlock system, so the car can start w/o the key (w/o engaging either the alarm or passlock) or you can use the toggle switch method mentioned above (to permently disengage passlock when toggled off (not the preferred method)) The reason why my starter was a POS was b/c of a old burned out bypass module, every time I went to remote start, passlock engaged, leaving me stranded for 10 min, I replaced the bypass ($50, 1/2 hour labor), and now it works like its brand new. Let me clarify that the toggle switch method is the only remedy that I know of if your having problems with it and don't have a remote starter.

So IMO Passlock is a great security feature to prevent amatuer thiefs for taking your ride. With a factory alarm, passlock, the CLUB, and theftlock on my stereo, I feel pretty safe parking my car anywhere for a couple hours, but if a professional wanted to get my car (or any car), thats why I have insurance.. does that clear it up a little..

nascarnate326
06-30-2007, 08:11 AM
wow almost 5 days now and still NOTHING!!!! is passlock really that useless?

Passlock was a huge factor in me selling my Grand Am. Its a worthless system, that should never even been created. If Grand Am's came passlock-less I would most likely still be driving one. Dont miss it one bit.