CAI and Waterlogging [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CAI and Waterlogging

DomesticFreak
06-09-2007, 12:49 AM
I've got the ChromeIntakes eBay "Warm Air Intake" and now that the weather is warming up again, I'd like to get the CAI into the fender well. I'm just wondering though how big of a chance is there for a daily driver to get water logged? I have to drive in the rain. I can't just park the car when it rains. Like some of you know, I drive for a living, but this whole "warm air intake" thing is not cool. Literally.

I do have the K&N cone filter, but was thinking about switching over to the S&B or SB or whatever it is.

Thanks, and if I didn't search enough, my apologies.

Bryan
06-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I think the only way you can do that is if you drive through huge puddles. As long as you dodge the puddles, like you should anyways, you shouldn't have any problems. I just got my CAI and drove in reallly heavy rain for about 20 minutes and didn't come across any problems.

silverse
06-09-2007, 11:12 AM
I drive mine every day and dont have any problems. I would recomend not driving into puddles. For a fail safe theris an available shroud that coves the bottom of the filter, im not sure who sells it though.

kse73
06-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Hitting an underpass w/ a foot of water (had no choice) nearly wrecked my car. Be careful....thats all you can do.

pyro
06-09-2007, 12:43 PM
i have driven in a hurricane (yea bitches, i said it) with no problems. as long as you dont hit any superhuge puddles you will be in good shape.

Vampyrate
06-09-2007, 03:23 PM
in order for you to hydrolock your car, the filter has to be completely submerged. if you are that worried about hydrolocking you engine, get an AEM bypass valve that will turn your CAI into a SRI as soon as there is a decrease in air pressure in the piping from water log.

if you dont think this works, check out the video they have about them on the AEM website where teh owner tests his own NSX with it

SpyhunteR
06-10-2007, 01:23 PM
do you drive through water where the levels submerge your foglamp?

answer that question and you can come up with your own decision.

People shouldn't be driving through deep water in cars in the first place.

ryanbgb22
06-10-2007, 01:28 PM
i've gotten my finter wet driving through super heavy rain before and my car ran terrible until it dried out. It seemed to be "chugging" everytime i got on the gas. Also, when i took the cai off for the winter i noticed all kinds of weird buildup on the inside of the pipes, i dont really know what it was and/or how it got passed the filter. But as far as doing anyreal engine damage...im sure you'll be fine.

Mike Jung
06-10-2007, 01:34 PM
i've gotten my finter wet driving through super heavy rain before and my car ran terrible until it dried out. It seemed to be "chugging" everytime i got on the gas. Also, when i took the cai off for the winter i noticed all kinds of weird buildup on the inside of the pipes, i dont really know what it was and/or how it got passed the filter. But as far as doing anyreal engine damage...im sure you'll be fine.
I hate to see your ppm (parts-per-million) of Si (Silicon, in other-words sand) level in your motor oil ;) lol

DomesticFreak
06-10-2007, 02:29 PM
do you drive through water where the levels submerge your foglamp?

Only if I'm in my Ram...

Seriously no I don't.

The reason I was asking this is because I need to make sure that when it starts to down pour, will I have to pull over and stop driving, or will I have to just avoid puddles like usual.

Vampyrate
06-10-2007, 03:14 PM
just drive like you normally would. if you arent trying to cross a river, then you are fine. remember jeeps, with the right mods, are made for that. not pontiacs

SpyhunteR
06-11-2007, 02:04 AM

it's because your filter was soaked with water which was essentially clogging the pores of the filter and preventing your motor from ingesting air.

Metallman56
06-11-2007, 07:20 AM
and the good thing is the filter is on the drivers, or left, side of the car. aroud here at least, most puddles are on the right side of the road, where the water cant run off.

Vampyrate
06-11-2007, 09:37 AM
if you are worried about the filter... get the dimensions of it and buy a pre-filter from injen. they make them for almost any sized filter out on the market. its kind of like putting a sock on the filter so you can just take that off and clean it instead of the entire filter

ryanbgb22
06-11-2007, 03:38 PM
it's because your filter was soaked with water which was essentially clogging the pores of the filter and preventing your motor from ingesting air.

i understand that, but i still dont get where the dirty residue (sp?) on the inner tubing camefrom.

boo03649
02-20-2008, 06:18 PM
i have a 2003 gagt 4door with cai stage 3 and gratinelli performance maf . my car shut off if i drive through a puddle not because of water in intake tube but throws a evap circut malfuntion code. p440 or something like that. also since i've installed this cai in take i have made a filter wrap for it (don't laugh!) with my wife's nylon stockings put the filter in like a foot cut it to size and layered twice. then spray water replent on it. and reinstalled filter.... now no water problems or air flow probs either. but if i drive through puddle now i get evap code again... so where is evap canister and can it be cracked or something also after installing cai i've noticed a whistle/spooling sound (sounds like turbo blow valve) when engine is cold (first start) loud whistling sound gone when warmed up and normal idle but come back when in gear and when driving ( driving the highway any rpm above 2000 brings anoying whistle and driving in the street and matting it and releasing throttle quickly also brings sound back sounds cool but in park idling and throttling it DOES NOT bring sound at all????? it seems to be like an internal leak of some sort (vacuum???)) but i wonder if the evap code and noise is related?
has anyone come across something like this? i will post sound recording soon as i record it?

PhantomLover007
02-20-2008, 06:58 PM
just drive like you normally would. if you arent trying to cross a river, then you are fine. remember jeeps, with the right mods, are made for that. not pontiacs

lol I'd like to see someone put an air breather kit on a Grand Am. That would be some funny ****.