security light stays on or don't start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : security light stays on or don't start

Batvette71
06-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi Guys I could use some help here I'm stumped. I own 2 Grand Am's and my father - in - law also has one. His 2000 Grand Am dosen't start sometimes cause the security light is on. He has to wait a few minutes then start again , then it will start. The other day I drove his car and the Security light came on when I was driving and stayed on although the car ran fine. After stopping and shutting the car off it started fine and no security lamp. What gives?? Is there some ghost in the machine here!!

Y2KGA
06-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi Guys I could use some help here I'm stumped. I own 2 Grand Am's and my father - in - law also has one. His 2000 Grand Am dosen't start sometimes cause the security light is on. He has to wait a few minutes then start again , then it will start. The other day I drove his car and the Security light came on when I was driving and stayed on although the car ran fine. After stopping and shutting the car off it started fine and no security lamp. What gives?? Is there some ghost in the machine here!!

Try using a different key, if that doesn't help then it means your ignition cylinder is bad. It costs about 400 to have it changed at the dealership. There are also ways to bypass it. Do a search on "passlock" or "security" for more info.

andrewe77
06-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Fixed mine for about 30 bux.

WeibSunder
06-13-2007, 11:34 PM

Well buddy, that's your passlock starting to act up. There is a way to fix it, but it will involve cutting of wires and such if you don't want to keep spending money on it.

Had to do it to one of my buddies cars, his just wouldn't stop acting up. So here you go.

(1.) If you want the fastest way to disable the Passlock---You just need to be able to start your car one time. Start it--leave it running--put car in neutral-- remove your radio, but do not unplug it.(Let it hang)Reach inside to the left and locate 3 tiny 22 gauge wires wrapped in black friction tape.(Yellow, Black, and White Passlock Wires)These are with the Ignition switch harness. Cut the (Yellow Passlock) Data Wire (while the engine is running). Security light will come on and stay on forever--- this tells you that Passlock is disabled.(PCM is in fail enable mode)Tape up both ends of the Yellow wire. Your car will crank from now on with no worries. I would suggest that you add a toggle switch, though. Disable Passlock --- it's not necessary to add a remote starter. Do a google search for "Passlock I or II Disablement" to see the written document for adding the toggle switch.

(2.) The quick simple fix is just to cut the yellow wire and tape up both ends. I took a screwdriver to pop the cover from around the stereo and took out 4 screws. Then, pulled out the stereo. The 3 wires from the ignition are right there on the left. Start the car and cut the yellow wire. That's it. You won't have to replace the ignition lock cylinder until it falls apart. I don't have to worry about my wife and kids being stuck somewhere. I certainly didn't mean for it to come across as being complicated at all. Enevitably, someone will ask why this works.

grandgt
06-19-2007, 10:08 AM
so by cutting the yellow wire it will disable the security .. but the security light will always stay on?

cmtapanes
06-19-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm having the same issue right now and is driving me crazy... at least I'm able to start the car after doing the re-learn procedure.

justin V
06-26-2007, 10:56 PM
i kno me 2....it sux

Mirage85
06-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Same thing just started happening to my Girlfriends Alero....

WeibSunder
06-28-2007, 11:00 PM
Passlock.