This is good, or at least ODD [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : This is good, or at least ODD

matthar924
06-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Just picked up the car today after replacing the second RF Wheel Hub Assembly for the second time in 7 months. This struck me as odd simply because somehow, the wires comming out of the hub that run across the lower control arm RIPPED out of the hub. If anyone has experienced that, I'd love to know how that happens.

6 hours later, I get in my car to take my break, and there is absolutely ZERO steering. I can't even muscle the wheel to turn half an inch. Pop the hood, and see that my Alternator bracket is CRACKED right down the middle and the belt is shredded a little bit.

So, I called the tow truck and it's back to the mechanic. I'd change the bracket myself, except the last time I changed the belt, my dumb ass found a way to ruin 3 of my motor mounts to the tune of $400 bucks. Best leave the job up to the pro and eat the cost of the tow.

Anyone experience this? The only warning I had was that I knew I broke a part of the alternator bracket a few year back, so only 2 bolts were holding the alternator on. Yes, I know...I probably caused this one myself.

coupe
06-22-2007, 07:35 PM
I havent experiance any of that.

How the hell did you ruin your motor mounts replaceing the belt?

hass
06-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Did the place you got the work on the previous problem completed at do anything to tamper with it? :|
Just seems fishy.

gectek
06-22-2007, 11:34 PM
im sorry but even if you were born in oklahoma and raised in new york, you still cannot break 3 motor mounts by just changing the belt, and the alt bracket, thats a new one on me...its solid alum and bolted to the engine in multiple places...maybe u need to study up more on what u do before you let someone else rape u to the tune of $400 for some used rubber, and before you screw yourself some more also. and yah if it pulled the wires out, the ABS would be going crazy and the trac control also...but since it is replaced...wait a minute the sensor is on the hub NOT the wiring harness. so you are saying the connector was still on the hub, but the wires were torn out of it, sounds like u needed a pigtail also, maybe it got hung up on something.

and shredded a little bit, i like that, its like the im kinda pregnant thing. sounds like big trouble in little china

matthar924
06-25-2007, 03:06 PM
It is possible and likely that the motor mounts were bad before I tried changing the alternator out a few years back, and that's when I busted a mounting point off of the alternator bracket, which probably put stress on the rest of the bracket which finally just broke. Can't do everything perfect the first time I suppose. I just don't like the idea of having to loosen up a motor mount and jack up the motor to change a damn belt.

As far as the hub wiring issue...I came out to the car one day and saw a wire with two connectors and a steel clip dangling to the ground on the inside of the RF tire and figured that the wire probably went to the hub. Two connectors were connected, and the wires that I presume should run towards the wheel had been severed at the blue connector that was dangling...probably got tied up in something..who knows. Yes, the ABS and TRAC were off, and have been for some time..and I never noticed the dangling connectors before, but the lights had been on for a few months. I prayed that it was the left side this time, and not a case of having to replace the right side so soon.