Odometer Troubles [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Odometer Troubles

yahuli
06-23-2007, 02:09 AM
I wasn't quite sure of where to post this...

I've noticed a few times in the recent past that when I would start up the car, the numbers on the digital odometer looked like garbage more than anything. If I'd mess around with the knob for the trip odometer for a bit, eventually the mileage would show.

Well, today I realized that it's staying stuck on the same mileage and not even counting them.

First of all, what can be done about this?

Second- does anyone know what I need to do in the state of PA when something like this happens?

I'm disabled and on a VERY fixed income. It's going to be at least several months before I can get a replacement. Even then, it's likely that this isn't showing actual mileage anymore. :\

Suggestions?

pyro
06-23-2007, 02:08 PM
you have to get a new gauge cluster and have it programmed by a "legal" repair shop to make it official. mine was $40 bucks to get programmed to my mileage.

Pinnacle
06-23-2007, 06:13 PM
If its staying on the same milage that could be a good thing :)

ryanbgb22
06-23-2007, 10:23 PM
mine seems to like scramble the numbers every once in a while - i dont know how else to describe it, but it seems like a ramdom assortment of lights. Itll do this for a little bit and then everything will be fine. Does my problem have the same fix?

jeffreno
06-30-2007, 01:28 AM
Same here, like Ryan's, for the last 2 years. It only happens in the summer, but just once in a while. My trip miles mess up more than the car miles. I too can get it reset by pressing the nob a few times. Is there a fix? new gauge cluster?

Jetski29
08-20-2007, 07:06 PM
hey guys i have started having a similar issue and just trying to understand this... the gauge cluster which includes your speedometer, tach, temperature and gas is what holds your mileage?? is that what i have to replace?? if so then if i was to buy one off ebay would it have a different mileage off of it??

timka86
08-22-2007, 04:14 PM
wow, i thought I was alone on this one, guess not. What works for me is a nice hefty smack right above cluster on the dash, and it stops shimmering, and shows normally. try it. I think it's cheaper then a new guage cluster and $$ to program it.