New brake pads + rotors and shake already? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New brake pads + rotors and shake already?

NNate
06-24-2007, 12:58 AM
I just got a front wheel bearing assembly replaced (that makes 2 in the past 10k miles) and at the same time got my warped front rotors and pads replaced in my '99 Grand Am SE.

Now, less than a month later, I'm getting slight shaking in my brake pedal when braking at speeds > 50mph. I've read a lot of bad things on here about Grand Am brakes, but could my brand new rotors already be warping again with only a couple hundred miles on them? I bought this car @ ~50k miles and now have 105k miles and have had to replace the rotors 3 times now due to warping or cracking.

Do I need to take this thing back in to make the shop fix this or is some shaking normal in the brake pedal when braking at relatively fast speeds? What should I tell them to do differently if this is indeed a warping rotor problem?

I just don't want to take this thing back in if nothing is actually wrong...

Thanks!
Nate

bballr4567
06-24-2007, 01:07 AM
Dont put the OEM type rotors back on.

Try the R1 Concept slotted rotors that you can find on ebay. Some people have used them as replacements for the OEM ones and love them. Im about to change to them as well.

NNate
06-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the fast reply

If I had to do it again, I would change these things myself, but at this point I feel like I'm stuck. I'm guessing the mechanic will change them again under warranty (or I'm hoping he will) if they're warped, but I'm not sure he'll buy parts on ebay :-). Should I ask him for something more specific?

Is there a simple way to see if it's the rotors (without pulling them off) or is shaking in the brake enough to go on?

Ajaxus
06-24-2007, 01:49 AM
I'm curious to know what rotors you put on the car.

Also while many members have had good experiences with R1 rotors, it should be noted that the company does not recommend them in winter conditions..your being from MN makes me believe it is necessary that you know this.

Run some searches on here for rotors and you'll find useful info on what the rest of us have used in the past to get an idea of quality choices..

TFA
06-24-2007, 07:01 PM
my car is slated for R1 concept rotors soon as well. i have heard nothing but good for them. And yes, they are not recomended for winter use, however many have used them in the winter with no problems.