'Nother Newbie [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother Newbie

thekl0wn
06-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Just thought I'd introduce myself and give some background. First off, I don't own a GAGT or even a GA for that matter, and even further, I don't own a car! I myself have always been more into Chevy trucks, but last Saturday my sister bought a '99 GAGT. I had never taken much notice to these cars (or any other cars), but after driving the thing and getting a chance to actually look at one up close, I'm actually looking for one myself!

pyro
06-27-2007, 07:52 AM
*welcome*
eventually everyone gets sucked into the grand am clan.
lawl!

stillriza
06-27-2007, 08:13 AM
welcome to the forum. im still new.

thekl0wn
06-27-2007, 08:18 AM
eventually everyone gets sucked into the grand am clan.

I'm fighting it tooth-and-nail, because I always said I'd never have a car as my primary mode, and that I'd go the sport truck route if I had those thoughts, but fuel prices to feed the V-8 are making me look towards driving something sporty in a V-6... I'm torn between GA's & GP's now!

kuecker_dj09
06-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Welcome, and Grand Am's were one of GM's most succesful car. the 3400 V6 gets decent gas mileage but for me thats hard because ive got quite a lead foot and in that zippy lil car is hard to not get on it lol

cardude007617
06-27-2007, 11:53 AM
yeah Pontiacs are great cars, sporty; yet well priced. either one you go with the GA or GP, each have awesome motors in em. our 3400 is almost bulletproof and of course the 3800 in GP's is just as good.

thekl0wn
06-27-2007, 11:58 AM
I've always been a big fan of the 3800. I don't know much about the 3400. And I never cared for the 3100... Do they even put that motor in anything anymore?

cardude007617
06-27-2007, 01:07 PM
ya, i test drove a 94 grand prix gt "special addition" and im pretty sure it had that motor in it, the 3100. all i can say is it makes the GA feel like a sports car :). the only problem with 3400s is they are 60 degree motors making the notorious "ram air" kinda useless cuz the air has to take a 90 degree turn to get to the throttle body. if it were a 90 degree like a 3800, ram air would actually work cuz the air could flow directly into the throttle body.

Nina
06-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Welcome!!

DrFabulous
06-27-2007, 02:12 PM
GA will feel much more sporty than a GP.... the GP GTP is fast, but a boat.

Oh, and welcome.

thekl0wn
06-27-2007, 02:21 PM
So all-in-all, which is the faster of the two... In say somewhere around an '02 model... The GAGT or the GP GTP? I come from driving full-size trucks, so the GP's still seem small to me.

DrFabulous
06-27-2007, 04:40 PM
GAGT and GPGT are about the same, GPGTP is the fastest of the three.

Best part of the GTP is the huge aftermarket. Less than $1500 to get into the 13's from what I've read.

timberwoof
06-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey

eve
06-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi, I thought you meant you didn't have a vehicle at all. And then I thought, what do you do ride, like a bike? Not that that would be a bad thing...although skateboarding is better.
So, are you like one of those truck driving people? Who look down are cars, both literally and figuratively. Cool.

kuecker_dj09
06-27-2007, 06:13 PM
GAGT and GPGT are about the same, GPGTP is the fastest of the three.

Best part of the GTP is the huge aftermarket. Less than $1500 to get into the 13's from what I've read.

thats about right i think. except i dont know if that 1500 is gonna be invested into suspension cuz as soon as you get some power, your not gonna get there as fast as you could if you have stock suspension

So all-in-all, which is the faster of the two... In say somewhere around an '02 model... The GAGT or the GP GTP? I come from driving full-size trucks, so the GP's still seem small to me.

you shouldnt base your choice on merely what is the "fastest" car. consider, fuel economy, space, body styling, aftermarket parts, and what year of car ('01-up GAs have the monsoon system which is a biotch when you want to upgrade to aftermarket audio)

Irate
06-27-2007, 06:22 PM
pics of the sister?

DrFabulous
06-27-2007, 06:40 PM
pics of the sister?

took 15 replies lol

kuecker_dj09
06-27-2007, 06:59 PM
took 15 replies lol

i had to read what IrateSpeed6 said twice before i understood it.

we were in a heated debate about the different pontiac models

lvemy3100
06-27-2007, 07:08 PM
I've always been a big fan of the 3800. I don't know much about the 3400. And I never cared for the 3100... Do they even put that motor in anything anymore?

HEY! watch what you say about the 3100... just cause we got a ;crap final drive ratio with the 4t40e doesnt mean we dont have potential... not to mention we arent that far from the 3400 in power ;)

thekl0wn
06-28-2007, 06:46 AM
pics of the sister?

No.

So, are you like one of those truck driving people? Who look down are cars, both literally and figuratively. Cool.

No. I drive a 2wd that's about to get dropped. My last truck was a 4x4 on its way towards the sky, but then I had a dumbass attack and rolled it 9 times. I wanted another 4x4, but my insurance company already bends me over once a month, and that extra x2 on it would take away the Vasoline!

you shouldnt base your choice on merely what is the "fastest" car. consider, fuel economy, space, body styling, aftermarket parts, and what year of car

I can to! Seriously though, the "fastest" will probably be the seller. Fuel economy will be better in a car with 2 liters less and about 1000 lbs less than I'm at now, regardless. I prefer the space of the GP, even though there's not a thing wrong (and I'm quite impressed by) with the space in the GA's. I love the looks of both. And it probably wouldn't get pummeled with aftermarket, being it would be more the DD, and the truck would end up my play toy. Plus, I can't drive the same thing as my sister.

kuecker_dj09
06-28-2007, 08:50 AM
if you want a GP, get the GTP. it will knock your socks off with the supercharger

notsoaveragej0e
06-28-2007, 08:58 AM
My last truck was a 4x4 on its way towards the sky, but then I had a dumbass attack and rolled it 9 times.

A heart attack?

Plus, I can't drive the same thing as my sister.

Yeah, I guess I wouldn't want you to drive me either...

Giggity.

J/KKKKKKKKKKKK :angel

thekl0wn
06-28-2007, 09:07 AM
A heart attack?

No, an actual dumbass attack... Decided it was a good idea to go 90+ MPH on the way home from a bar about a half mile away from my house, after spending the entire day at Hooters drinking pitchers of Killian's... Didn't work out so well for the truck, but I'm just happy/lucky to be alive, much less unscathed!

Ajaxus
06-28-2007, 12:21 PM
hmm, never heard of poco, IN...where be that?

thekl0wn
06-28-2007, 01:12 PM
hmm, never heard of poco, IN...where be that?

Posey County, the Southernmost county, where the Ohio & Wabash meet. About 10 miles West of Evansville.

GrandAmGT1996
06-28-2007, 02:17 PM
No, an actual dumbass attack... Decided it was a good idea to go 90+ MPH on the way home from a bar about a half mile away from my house, after spending the entire day at Hooters drinking pitchers of Killian's... Didn't work out so well for the truck, but I'm just happy/lucky to be alive, much less unscathed!

That post will put this thread down the drain, driving while under the influence is highly frowned upon on this site

On topic---welcome, and id take the ga over the gp unless its the gtp but insurance will own you there.

notsoaveragej0e
06-28-2007, 02:52 PM
That post will put this thread down the drain, driving while under the influence is highly frowned upon on this site

On topic---welcome, and id take the ga over the gp unless its the gtp but insurance will own you there.

Ohhhhhhhhh I totally read that the wrong way... I thought he meant he got HIT by some dumbass on the road that was drunk.

thekl0wn
06-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh I totally read that the wrong way... I thought he meant he got HIT by some dumbass on the road that was drunk.

No, I WAS the dumbass.

PhantomLover007
06-28-2007, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=kuecker_dj09;901160.... The 3400 V6 gets decent gas mileage but for me thats hard because ive got quite a lead foot and in that zippy lil car is hard to not get on it lol[/QUOTE]

I feel ya on that. Can't fight the urge to punch it whenever I'm driving around.

"yeah Pontiacs are great cars, sporty; yet well priced."

I've had nothng but Pontiacs. '88 LeMans Hatchback, '92 Sunbird GT V6, '96 Sunfire sedan and currently my '02 GAGT.

DrFabulous
06-28-2007, 09:00 PM
No, I WAS the dumbass.

Jesus H Christ not again.

No offense to you, but anyone driving drunk should never be allowed to drive again. Idiots think they can just endanger everyone elses lives for their own glee. I have absolutely NO respect for someone that drinks and drives.

Ajaxus
06-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Posts like that will get you killed, don't come to SB if this is a habit of yours.

thekl0wn
06-29-2007, 07:14 AM
This post is not supporting, condoning, nor making excuses for drinking and driving.

It's a bad deal. Around here, DUI's are a commonplace ordeal. It's a German Catholic community, and drinking takes place in everyday events. A town of 250 people in this area is guaranteed to have at least one bar if not 2-3. I got caught up in it, and let it take control of my life there for about a year and wound up somehow ended up living through it, though I'm still paying for it every month.

With myself and my friends getting a bit older, we started developing a little bit of maturity. No more of the playing paper, rock, scissors after a beirstube to see who had to drive home. Drinking and driving hasn't really been frowned around our area... It was a daily occurance, and a part of life for the most part. Until two weeks ago. Two friends of mine, also brothers, were driving home from town... Not drunk, but still a good deal over the legal limit. The driver fell asleep, and awoke to his truck hitting the "rumble strip", and then over-corrected, flipping his truck, and ejecting both him and his brother. The brother was pronounced dead on the scene, and the driver was in ICU for two days, and is now awaiting his charges.

That's my D&D history. I had given up drinking and driving after my wreck... Lesson learned on my part, and it affected a few people... Mainly those in the vehicle behind me that witnessed the truck flipping 9 times, and being reminded of an incident two years prior where we lost a friend right in front of us. The newest incident has affected the community! I think that everyone has realized that it's just not worth it... 27 is too young to die, especially when you're leaving behind a wife, 2-year-old daughter, a good job, and hundreds of good friends. It's also been realized that 21 is too young to be sent off to prison to spend the early portion of your 20's, just for one night's fun.

If I may ask, please no more "you shouldn't drink and drive" lectures... I know this. And please... Please no bad words of the brothers. As I have said, they are good friends of mine, and the wound is still fresh and tender. I can understand some having outspoken opinions on the topic, but please keep them to yourself.

Sorry for the long post, but thought I'd share my points on the topic, since it felt like the thread was moving towards me being a regular drunken driver... Which is NOT the case!

DrFabulous
06-29-2007, 06:08 PM
I can understand some having outspoken opinions on the topic, but please keep them to yourself.

Outspoken opinions? Anger and disbelief over people that drink and driving because my father was killed by some drunk fool is not having an outspoken opinion.

No one is going to lecture you, because we're sick of it. I'm just telling you that I (along with many others) have no respect whatsoever for someone that has done something like that.

pyro
06-30-2007, 07:52 AM
klozed :nono: