99 Grand AM GT creaking [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 Grand AM GT creaking

mjtr21
06-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Hello people, was wondering if anyone had this noise before and fixed it. There is a creaking noise I get sometimes when pulling into my driveway or when backing out. I do get the creaking noise also when pushing the brake pedal but thats because I need new calipers (piston warped inside). Would these two noises be related? It only happens when turning the wheel and on a slight hill/incline. It is a slow creak when it happens too. Thanks for any suggestions.

williamGT
06-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Search. hers a link on it.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69250

mjtr21
06-28-2007, 09:35 PM
uh no. this guy said his car did it when he pressed the brake pedal down. mine also does this. but my car ALSO does it when turning and NOT pushing the brakes. i asked if the caliper would be doing this too. i noticed the noise is only coming from the left side too. it happens when turning the wheel left or right and when going forward or backward. im hoping its not something in the steering or suspension. anyone else have any ideas?

williamGT
06-28-2007, 10:11 PM
turning would might be the strut mount. Mine is doing it now (strut mount)

cardude007617
06-28-2007, 11:08 PM
tie rods maybe? im not good at suspension but or maybe the sway bar mounts? does it make more noise when turning one way more than the other?

williamGT
06-29-2007, 12:00 AM
CV shafts?......it would be clunking

cardude007617
06-29-2007, 02:04 AM
sounds expensive to me :/

mjtr21
07-01-2007, 06:57 PM
no clunking so i eliminated CV shafts. It only does it at low speeds when turning. its coming from the left side only. i think it may be the strut mount. i will bring it to my mechanic to look at it...im not good with suspension and steering stuff. it does it every half-turn of the wheel - so about two times when i turn the wheel around once. i know its something in suspension though. ill try to put the front end on jackstands and have my brother turn the wheel for me to locate the exact spot. thanks for the suggestions though.

cardude007617
07-01-2007, 07:16 PM
warped rotors

mjtr21
07-05-2007, 10:17 AM
warped rotors would make this noise? i think they are warped or at least something not right because they look really shiny. and when i felt them, it was really smooth. so could this be the reason? thanks.

sudden_impulse
07-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Is the sound when turning like a loud clicking? It could be the same thing as mine, which is a bad CV joint. The boot got tore somehow and now the lubrication is gone. It costs somewhere around $60 or 70 USD to replace, and a Haynes manual will walk you through the whole installation. Only really hard part I saw is finding a way to torque the hub nut to 270 ft/lbs or so.

silverbullet51
07-05-2007, 10:58 PM
yeah, i got that creaking problem. happens mostly in parking lots and driveways (low speeds)

but i also have another problem with my suspension. every little bump in the road makes a clunking/rattling/jarring, i don't know how to describe it noise in the front end. i'm guessing i need new struts cuz at 118k i still think the originals are on. car has a relatively crappy ride as well. any thoughts?

bballr4567
07-06-2007, 01:54 AM
118k on original struts??? Most last around 30k and are shot. You need new ones bad. Probably mounting plates also seeing how they have been drove on for so long.

sudden_impulse
07-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Josh, can you just buy the mounting plates straight from Summit? Or will I need to go to a different place to get them, since I think I might have the original struts too, and I'm at a healthy 128k for mileage.

bballr4567
07-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Yea you can. I have the parts number on my other computer though that I dont have with me. I think that coupe posted a thread on here with the numbers also.

williamGT
07-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Okay now I don't want to be a :hijacked: But my 2002 GAGT clunks when I hit the brakes when the car is slow when put into drive and reverse. The whole front end is tight when I do the tire shake (side to side and up and down) strut mounts?
if so I;m travelling 3000km's should I get it fixed? the car doesn't viberate when doing 200km/h and also when I applied the brakes.

mjtr21
07-07-2007, 10:59 AM
no its not the cv joints. i asked if anyone thought it could be the rotors. cause i thought that when i turned the steering wheel left and right and i heard the noise that the pads were rubbing on the rotors making that noise. the noise is not a clicking noise.

mjtr21
07-07-2007, 11:00 AM
oh yeah how would i check to see if its the mounting plates for the struts? that could be my problem. thanks.

williamGT
07-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Okay now I don't want to be a :hijacked: But my 2002 GAGT clunks when I hit the brakes when the car is slow when put into drive and reverse. The whole front end is tight when I do the tire shake (side to side and up and down) strut mounts?
if so I;m travelling 3000km's should I get it fixed? the car doesn't viberate when doing 200km/h and also when I applied the brakes.

anyone?

Panacea
07-08-2007, 04:13 PM
118k on original struts??? Most last around 30k and are shot. You need new ones bad. Probably mounting plates also seeing how they have been drove on for so long.

Not true. My service manager said unless you're getting excessive bouning, or you can see the struts leaking, they'll last quite a while. I believe he said around 100k. I had 63k on my '99 GT's original struts and they were holding up just fine. My fiance's '02 alero has 104k and the struts are more than likely original. They're still good too.

Without hearing where the squeak is coming from, I can't say for sure. I would say it sounds like the strut mounts though. My squeaked like crazy after only 15-30k.

bballr4567
07-08-2007, 07:41 PM
I seriously doubt that the 104k mile struts are ok. Change them and tell me if you notice a difference.

Also you believed your service manager?

Panacea
07-08-2007, 10:31 PM
I seriously doubt that the 104k mile struts are ok. Change them and tell me if you notice a difference.

Yes, I do believe my service manager. He helped me a lot with my GA. He was my next door neighbor, and never once d!cked me around. Stand up guy! I broke the clip to replace my fuel filter, and it took the mechanic 45 minutes to change it. Two years later I brought it back and they replaced the whole assembly (can't remember what it was, but it was around $500 to do... I think it they "claimed" it was the sensor in the tank or something so they dropped the tank and replaced it) for me under my extended warranty...

As for the struts. I know replacing them will make a world of difference; however, the car does not bounce excessively, nor does it pose any eminent danger to my fiance'. The struts still have a t least 10k or more left till the definitely need to be replaced.

silverbullet51
07-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by bballr4567

Yes, I do believe my service manager. He helped me a lot with my GA. He was my next door neighbor, and never once d!cked me around. Stand up guy! I broke the clip to replace my fuel filter, and it took the mechanic 45 minutes to change it. Two years later I brought it back and they replaced the whole assembly (can't remember what it was, but it was around $500 to do... I think it they "claimed" it was the sensor in the tank or something so they dropped the tank and replaced it) for me under my extended warranty...

As for the struts. I know replacing them will make a world of difference; however, the car does not bounce excessively, nor does it pose any eminent danger to my fiance'. The struts still have a t least 10k or more left till the definitely need to be replaced.

sounds like a nice guy. i did the bounce test on my car and it stops in two bounces at all four wheels. i am not sure how accurate that test is, but i am not an expert. if i take the car in to carx or someplace that will give me a free inspection, i don't want to get taken for a ride.

something in my front end suspension is messed up and i want to take care of it soon. how would i rule out ball joints and tie rods? steering is ok

mjtr21
07-10-2007, 05:48 PM
wow my thread got hijacked. well anyways i checked the noise while my brother turned the steering wheel left and right and its definately coming from the wheel well. so i jacked up the whole front end and put on jackstands and i narrowed it down. the noise is coming from the top. i repeat again the noise is NOT a squeak. its like a small thump every time i turn the steering wheel a full turn. its either the mounts or the big huge coils. how hard would it be to change the mounts? to take it out i would just unbolt from steering knuckles, unbolt from top of mounts, then slide the whole strut assembly out of the car right? then i am lost. any help?

Panacea
07-10-2007, 08:34 PM
wow my thread got hijacked. well anyways i checked the noise while my brother turned the steering wheel left and right and its definately coming from the wheel well. so i jacked up the whole front end and put on jackstands and i narrowed it down. the noise is coming from the top. i repeat again the noise is NOT a squeak. its like a small thump every time i turn the steering wheel a full turn. its either the mounts or the big huge coils. how hard would it be to change the mounts? to take it out i would just unbolt from steering knuckles, unbolt from top of mounts, then slide the whole strut assembly out of the car right? then i am lost. any help?

I had a clunk/popping noise in my GA when I would turn left going into my driveway. Dealer replaced the tie rods and it fixed the problem for a couple months, but then the noise came back. Could be the same thing with yours.

mjtr21
07-11-2007, 06:33 AM
nope its not the same. i said that i narrowed it down to either the strut mounts or the coils. the noise is coming from that area. so can anybody else narrow it down to which one or has anyone else had the same thing happen? please help. thanks

vipey1337
07-11-2007, 06:59 AM
I have/had a similar problem, but I don't remember what solved it (if it's even solved... I tend to ignore random things going on with my car :p)

I had 168,000 mile struts and they were "fine" until I swapped them out with KYB GR2 struts and Eibach springs :p

mjtr21
07-11-2007, 02:19 PM
oh...jeez. i wish that someone had the same problem as me and found a way to fix it. i hear every little noise on my car haha. and i dont like to ignore problems because as time goes on the problem gets worse and it could affect other parts on the car.

silverbullet51
11-20-2007, 08:44 PM
just an update

i am going to have all my rotors and pads replaced since they are all in bad shape, but i did some research on the brakes creaking and i am pretty sure its the friggin calipers. so i can get this kluber lube and put it on, but i'd hate to put that on and find out later that the calipers are warped. that creaking noise just got 5 times worse since i had the front brakes done! not only can i hear it, but i also feel it in the pedal.

any suggestions on what kind of calipers to get if they are indeed shot?

nate2023
11-20-2007, 09:15 PM
i used CRC Silicone right before pushing the calipers in for new pads, never made sound ever again. as for the ACTUAL thread, my car when i turn out of a slow stop it kind of sounds like two dry and dirty peices of metel rubbing together. After i replaced the tie rod end on one side and accidently turned the whole rod the noise went away for a little while. Maybe crap is getting in the dust boot somehow or theres a seal leaking and the fluid dried. my .02

killswitch08
07-06-2008, 07:22 AM
hey guys i just got new pads and rotors all around. they told me i need left and right outer tie rods, new control arm bushings and a wheel alignment. Ive got about 109,000 kms on my car. Now that i think of it, it does feel a bit loose in the front end when i go over bumps in parking lots. I remember having that same wobbly loose feeling back when i needed to fix the control arms and new bushings on my 98 tracker i used to have. Fixed that and it was very tight and smooth ride after that. Luckily ive still got a warranty that covers control arms, bushings and tie rods until 159,000kms. anyone else have the same feeling in the front end that i have ?