Rear Head Gasket Leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear Head Gasket Leak

06-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted here... but I might need a little help.
I took my 99 GAGT to the dealer to find out why there was an antifreeze leak. Long story short, the rear head gasket has a 'small' leak in it. So tomorrow (Saturday) the plan is to flush the radiator and add head gasket repair block seal. (Bar's Leaks) Anyone ever have to use this? Have any luck with it? I'm at 135K and really dont want to spend the $1,200 the dealer is charging me for the repair job. Thanks a lot.

PS - Never flushed a radiator either - is that difficult? I need a drain pan, hose and radiator flush, right?

Thanks!

Malaclypse
06-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Just fix the friggin' gasket.

You're gonna spend that $1,200 sooner or later. Why throw on another $30 and a bunch of wasted time on top of it? I don't know how much your time is worth, but two trips to a shop can cost you a day easy. I can guarantee you your day is worth more than the $30 it'd cost for the Bar's to save you being without a car.

Hell, the Bar's stop leak isn't even a guaranteed fix. Better off in Vegas with your $30. If you want a car that's truly going to be reliable, belly-up and pay the money to have the dealer or another shop fix it. The only reason I suggest you take it back to the dealer is that they guarantee their work and have the capital to back it up.