What do I need for a trans pan drop? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for a trans pan drop?

lone_wolf025
06-30-2007, 01:56 AM
Yes I know there are lots of threads about doing it, but none of them have the info I need. My concerns are:

1) How many quarts of fluid do I need?
2) What's the "stock" fluid type?
3) Any recommendations on additives?
4) Any special pattern to remove the pan bolts?
5) Do I just pop off the bolts and let most of the fluid dribble off or is there an easier way to drain it beforehand like with a suction tube in the fill hole?
6) Will I need a new trans pan gasket?
7) How long should I let it sit before putting it all back together?
8) After its refilled I remove the fluid level check on the side and check while its running?
9) Anything else I need to know?

drumking1721
06-30-2007, 09:12 AM
I brought this topic up a while ago too,and got reemed for it. But just my two sense,im gonan be doing it here in a couple weeks as well,im going to be putting in the Royal Purple ATF, its pricey,but its good stuff. As for quarts,i heard its a lot,so ill wait and see what is posted

hass
06-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Stock fluid is Dexron III
Or so I was told.

drumking1721
07-02-2007, 09:41 AM
anyone? im with wolf here,id like to know these things

sudden_impulse
07-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Not to sound like an ass, but buy a Haynes manual, it walks you through the trans pan drop and alot of other engine maintanence.

timka86
07-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Yes I know there are lots of threads about doing it, but none of them have the info I need. My concerns are:

1) How many quarts of fluid do I need?
2) What's the "stock" fluid type?
3) Any recommendations on additives?
4) Any special pattern to remove the pan bolts?
5) Do I just pop off the bolts and let most of the fluid dribble off or is there an easier way to drain it beforehand like with a suction tube in the fill hole?
6) Will I need a new trans pan gasket?
7) How long should I let it sit before putting it all back together?
8) After its refilled I remove the fluid level check on the side and check while its running?
9) Anything else I need to know?

1)flush and fill, about 7 quarts, if total dismantle, then 9.
2) Dextron three
3) Never tried additives, prolly Lucas has something, if anything, look for something that'll keep your trans running cooler, but without clogging galleries.
4) Losen all the bolts a little but working the front more then the rear, (front being closer to the front of the car) and so the fluid will drain there when the pan starts to come down in the front, make sure to loosed the rear enough so it doesn't bend the edge of the pan when the front starts to come down.
5)drop the pan, no drain plud, and no way to get in to suck in out.
6) No, do not have to replace it, the pan gasket is reusable, if it is damaged, or bad, it's like 40$ for a new one, don't bend it, it has metal molded in the rubber
7) It's going to drip forever, until you get it to stop dripping "a lot" about half hour should do it.
8) yes the car needs to be running to check it and it has to be level and hot, i would say it's safe to pour 6 to 6.5 quarts in and let it run, but have the check plug broken loose, 10mm wrench. once hot and still running, open the plug if it drips, it's perfect, if it runs out a lot it's too much, let it run out a little, if nothing comes out, add more. Ideally it's best to not have enough and add so when you get a drip, then you know you got it.
9) the gasket for the filter is usually replaced too, you'll have to collapse it with a screw driver and hammer, carefull not to score the surfaces there. you can wipe down the inside of the trans some with a cloth rag, not leaving lint. Don't forget to wipe the magnet stuck to the pan, and be sure not to forget to put it back in the right spot. and don't forget to not leave it out.

GTKnightRider
07-24-2007, 02:04 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I did a search and needed some info. Back to the trans service. After I drained the fluid and replaced the filter added 7 qt. started the car went throught each gear left in park raised the car started to pull the plug and fluid was squrtig out for a long time and removed the plug and fluid was spraying out very fast all over the place. To much fluid to start with? Whats the deal? Doing a trans flush service with the machine.. would it possibly add more fluid then its really taking out?

Sprucegagt
07-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I did a search and needed some info. Back to the trans service. After I drained the fluid and replaced the filter added 7 qt. started the car went throught each gear left in park raised the car started to pull the plug and fluid was squrtig out for a long time and removed the plug and fluid was spraying out very fast all over the place. To much fluid to start with? Whats the deal? Doing a trans flush service with the machine.. would it possibly add more fluid then its really taking out?

What exactly are you doing? A trans pan drop or flush.

coupe
07-24-2007, 07:35 AM
I honestly have all my trans maintenance done had dedicated trans shops.

GTKnightRider
07-24-2007, 01:39 PM
I dropped the pan replaced the filter and added new fluid.

gectek
07-25-2007, 06:26 PM
it shouldnt shoot out, you prob have way too much fluid in there...