Serpentine Belt Chirping [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Belt Chirping

BrumrDan
07-01-2007, 04:57 PM
I bought my GT1 about 3 weeks ago, and when I test drove it, the belt was chirping, the Used car salesmen (aka Scum of the earth) told me they just power wached the engine, and if the chirping does not go away, they will replace the belt... Well the chirping never went away, so I had them replace the original GM belt.

Now 2 weeks later the chirping is back, the car only has 48K miles on it, a brand new belt, and chirping when I start the car for about 10 minutes, then it goes away unless I accelerate, then I can hear the chirping, any ideas guys??? Help me out, I bought a 3 yr warranty with the car, thank god... but help me so I can yell at some mechanics at the garage I bought Black Betty from.. Thx for all your help..

And yes I know, I need to unstock my car.... I did peel off the crappy sales logo from the trunk, and put some Cool Blue Halogens in it, but need to make some payments on it before I can do anything else...

hass
07-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Hopefully you didn't buy it anywhere near buffalo.
:p
some place like Jim Culligan.
aha :|

mine was doing the same too.
but it went away, heh.

so ill wait for responses as well =D

/bump

Rich
07-02-2007, 03:01 PM
i had a squeak and i asked them to check it out when i was getting some other work done. they said the belt looked ok but they put some sort of lube on there. it still squeaked and i asked if it could be anything else and they said it could be a bad pulley. so maybe thats it.

DomesticFreak
07-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Check the tensioner. If it's bad it will eat through belts weekly. My J was eating up serp belts daily it was so bad. If that doesn't solve the problem then the pulley's aren't aligned.

lone_wolf025
07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Check the tensioner. If it's bad it will eat through belts weekly. My J was eating up serp belts daily it was so bad. If that doesn't solve the problem then the pulley's aren't aligned.

+1

Turn off the engine. Find the tensioner, put a score mark where the current tension indicator is and move the tensioner down (tension off belt) and then let it come back up. It should go back very close to the original mark. If its off by a noticeable amount (enough that you don't have to squint to see the difference) then replace it. Most mechanics will usually replace the tensioner anytime the belt goes bad as a preventative maintenance thing.

WD-40 is ok once in a while to lube the belt, but typically its not necessary (just don't go spray happy). Whatever you do DO NOT use any kind of belt sticky stuff. I had a friend that used it routinely on his truck and it tore up the belt and gunked up all his pulleys because it was designed for single groove V-belt systems. Let me tell you it was NOT a fun clean up job...

BrumrDan
07-02-2007, 08:07 PM
is the tensioner, the handled shape thing near the top of the engine, near the alternator??? considering I don't know, I should have a shop look at it..

lone_wolf025
07-02-2007, 08:25 PM
The tensioner is a pulley attached to an arm that will be moving a little while the engine is running. IIRC its under the alternator and should be indicated if you still have the diagram of the belt in the car. In order to move it you need a good sized 3/8" breaker bar (figure 18" long min) to pop into the square hole on the arm. If you're really concerned have the shop look at it. They'll tell you straight up if its the tensioner.

Tzer
07-02-2007, 08:36 PM
It's not that hard to check BrumrDan.
I do think that this chirp is a common problem on GA's. I've seen it mentioned a number of times on different parts of the WWW.

When we purchased ours it was fine for a couple weeks just like you mentioned. Then it began.
I did use the "Belt Dressing" (Someone mentioned to not use) but I only applied it 2 times and so far so good. It may have a slight chirp but it's gone within 30 seconds or less, nothing like it was before. It used to be very loud and go on for close to a minute (Only on start up).

I know that some people change them auto tensioner to the good ol manual ones, but i don't know if they are avalible for the GA's, Surly they are.

Hope you get them Birds out of that engine bay :)

cardude007617
07-02-2007, 09:22 PM
hmmmm, i dont know if its the same thing or not but i used to get like a rattle kinda noise outta the engine at first, but i changed spark plugs and it fixed it. UGH F U BOSCH PLAT +2s. anyways good luck

ryanbgb22
07-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Hopefully you didn't buy it anywhere near buffalo.
some place like Jim Culligan.
aha :|

mine was doing the same too.
but it went away, heh.

so ill wait for responses as well =D

/bump

HaHa, Jim Culligan FTL.

To stay on topic, one of my pullies squeeked really bad, but i kept lubing it with motorcycle chain lube, and eventually it went away.

lone_wolf025
07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
It's not that hard to check BrumrDan.
I know that some people change them auto tensioner to the good ol manual ones, but i don't know if they are avalible for the GA's, Surly they are.

Hope you get them Birds out of that engine bay :)

Personally I wouldn't go with the manual adjuster for a serpentine belt system...Heck I've never heard of manual adjustment for these systems. I don't even know if you could find one that'd fit.

Seeing as how you're still under warranty I'd bring it in and have someone take a look. The manual one might be an option for the mechanically inclined AFTER the warranty is up. I'm sure that if say your alternator burned out due to an overly tight belt, and they found the manual adjuster, you'd be on your own.

Edit-

I dunno if a "belt dresser" is the same stuff my friend used but I'm not surprised two small applications didn't hurt anything. Personally after seeing the damage the stuff caused and spending all those hours scrubbing that sticky black mess of gunk off every pulley with a wire brush and scrubbing all the smooth surfaces down with rags, I would never EVER even think of using that stuff to stop a noisy belt. After all that stuff is designed to make V belts sticky so they don't slip down into pulleys, where as serpentine belts don't have that problem.

rlandis
07-03-2007, 07:53 AM
I had a squeeky belt when I first bought my GT with 25k on it . Finally changed it with a gatorback belt and no squeek thus far now i'm at 49k.

hass
07-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Is the tensioner suppose to move a lot?
Mine like wobbles around.
I took it to my mechanic, and he seemed pretty annoyed.
Because after the Serpentine belt broke, I replaced it with my father.
He was just like IT'S SPRING LOADED, IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT. [/annoyed]

Is a little movement... a little?
lol.
If I took a video of it and posted it up, would that be better? :]

2003SCT
07-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Because after the Serpentine belt broke, I replaced it with my father.

Sorry but I just had to quote that...I know what you mean but your Dad must hate being installed under your hood. :)

CHRIS

lone_wolf025
07-04-2007, 10:52 PM
A little movement is ok and I'd be more concerned if I saw NO movement.

hass
07-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Sorry but I just had to quote that...I know what you mean but your Dad must hate being installed under your hood. :)

CHRIS

Ahaha.
I hate you -.-

BrumrDan
07-07-2007, 11:56 PM
:applause:

Ahaha.
I hate you -.-