ABS? Maybe... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS? Maybe...

The Beyond
07-02-2007, 12:42 AM
Sometimes when it rains really hard, or when i get a car wash.. or recently when i drive down dirt roads my back brakes will completely lock up, the whole back in sinks down to the ground when i apply the brakes lightly.. Is something (water/dirt) getting in my drums or something?... im trying to figure out how i can correct this problem. any suggestions would be appreciated.

96' GAGT 3.1

The Beyond
07-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Someone?

coupe
07-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Gotta waite longer than 2 minutes..........

Why dont you take off your rims/tires and take a look

The Beyond
07-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Gotta waite longer than 2 minutes..........

Why dont you take off your rims/tires and take a look

umm... i posted this last night.

and if i did take my tires off i wouldnt know what to look for....

coupe
07-02-2007, 02:00 PM
My bad, didnt see the AM and PM.

Take it to a pro IMO

ltpats
07-02-2007, 02:09 PM
A common problem with different makes of cars. Usually caused by a build up of brake dust in your drums. Don't just blow them out though, use brake cleaner so as to avoid creating dust....Bendix tells me they stopped using asbestos in the early 90's but better to error on the side of caution. Once you have done this make sure your shoes aren't adjusted up to tight, you should just get a light drag on the drum when you spin it.

coupe
07-02-2007, 02:18 PM
A common problem with different makes of cars. Usually caused by a build up of brake dust in your drums. Don't just blow them out though, use brake cleaner so as to avoid creating dust....Bendix tells me they stopped using asbestos in the early 90's but better to error on the side of caution. Once you have done this make sure your shoes aren't adjusted up to tight, you should just get a light drag on the drum when you spin it.

Considering his post i dont think he knows what your talking about or how to do it.

Sprucegagt
07-02-2007, 03:53 PM
Sometimes when it rains really hard, or when i get a car wash.. or recently when i drive down dirt roads my back brakes will completely lock up, the whole back in sinks down to the ground when i apply the brakes lightly.. Is something (water/dirt) getting in my drums or something?... im trying to figure out how i can correct this problem. any suggestions would be appreciated.

96' GAGT 3.1

Water is getting into your rear drums. It's not uncommon. But does this happen everytime you brake, or just like once a day?

The Beyond
07-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Water is getting into your rear drums. It's not uncommon. But does this happen everytime you brake, or just like once a day?

well, it first happened when i was driving in some lake sized puddles on a rainy day, i had to speed up to about 30mph and lock up the brakes, after doing this about 3 times the probles went away (my friend told me to do it, and said it was related to the abs locking up) Yesterday when i was riding down a dirt road this happened again. didnt notice anything until i got off the dirt road, i braked at a light slowly then once i pushed down on the peddle a tad harder to come to a complete stop they locked up, back end sunk down and all that stuff.. So this only happens, that i notice when its really wet out or im rally racing on a dirt road....

Im not 100% sure its the back brakes, i figure since only the bottom back of the car sinks down when they lock up that it is on fact the drums, the drums do look anciently old and rusty... but i know the pads and surfice are good, not sure about how anything is lined up or whatnot, but ya..

The Beyond
07-02-2007, 04:46 PM
if water and dirt dust are in fact getting into my drums, do they make a cover or something to shield them from this problem?

Sprucegagt
07-02-2007, 10:17 PM
There is a removeable plug on each backing plate. It is used to allow for accessing the adjuster on each brake assembly. If that plug is missing then water/dirt could be getting in that way or your driving through puddles resembling lakes. lol

The Beyond
07-03-2007, 12:57 AM
ya i ended up taking off both drums and checking them out.. didnt notice anything weird, i cleaned em up a bit. didnt notice any kind of plug thing... my brother seems to think it has to do with the pads being to close to the drum, or something. i did notice the driver side drum was on there pretty freaking good, i had to beat on it for about 5 mins to get it off. could of just been something in there was rusted to the point where it wasn't working right.. hopefully taking the drums off and cleaning em up and standing them down a little helped.. we will see

cardude007617
07-03-2007, 02:58 AM
not to jack this thread but thoguht it would fit in. every now and then this will happen; lets say im getting off the freeway and i gotta stop semi-fast, it feels like the ABS is kicking in but the road is dry and my tires arent smooth. it also will do this if i go into like a fast food joint driveway where theres the curb and it goes up and if i have to use the brakes some what hard; i feel it kicking in again. any ideas at all? again there is no reason the ABS would have to kick in, dry weather and still well-treaded tires.
if this makes 0 sense i honestly dont blame ya, just ask.

mjtr21
07-05-2007, 11:38 AM
yeah my car does this too. it does it when i am turning into a driveway or parking lot with bumps and holes. then i go to push the brakes while im on a bump and i feel the car skip and the low trac light comes on, but it seems like onyl the back brakes are pumping. my car also does it when i hit the brakes while going fast around a sharp corner. i think its just because my back brakes are newer than my front ones. i dont know though. sorry to go off topic though.

The Beyond
07-05-2007, 11:43 AM
I took off my drums and cleaned em up a little... went through the car wash yesterday... no Lock ups..

cardude007617
07-05-2007, 11:47 AM
yeah my car does this too. it does it when i am turning into a driveway or parking lot with bumps and holes. then i go to push the brakes while im on a bump and i feel the car skip and the low trac light comes on, but it seems like onyl the back brakes are pumping. my car also does it when i hit the brakes while going fast around a sharp corner. i think its just because my back brakes are newer than my front ones. i dont know though. sorry to go off topic though.

ya thats pretty much the SAME thing i got. any ideas? off topic again

hass
07-05-2007, 12:36 PM
ya thats pretty much the SAME thing i got. any ideas? off topic again

mine does the same, I figured it was normal considering the stress.
heh.