Transmission Problem and Cooling Fan Issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problem and Cooling Fan Issue

55will87
07-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Alright here's the problems.

When I accelerate in medium to high loads the car seems to lag, almost like the transmission is slipping. I had the trans pan dropped and changed the filter about 200 miles ago to see if that cleared up the trans problem, but no luck. I am hoping its not the trans.

Second issue is my car's cooling fans don't seem to work anymore. Car is regularly at about 200 to highest 220. Checked if the fans were running after long trips in 85deg weather and they weren't running. The fuses are fine for the fan motors. So it might either be the fan assembly itself or the wiring to the fans. I am looking for an electrical diagram of the car currently.

The car is a 2001 Grand Am Se with about 82000 miles on it. My mods to it so far are h&r springs, kyb gr-2 struts, STB, and CAI. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

The Beyond
07-04-2007, 11:25 AM
(fan).. check the relay?

Mike Jung
07-04-2007, 11:50 AM
...Second issue is my car's cooling fans don't seem to work anymore. Car is regularly at about 200 to highest 220. Checked if the fans were running after long trips in 85deg weather and they weren't running. The fuses are fine for the fan motors. So it might either be the fan assembly itself or the wiring to the fans. I am looking for an electrical diagram of the car currently...
The engine coolant fans don't come on that much on the GA's (compared to say Honda's). Unless you are stuck in traffic or it is really hot outside.
Or the AC (or defrost) is on, or if the engine coolant temperature exceeds 106C/223F.
Once it exceeds the 106C/223F: The low speed fans come on. Which are sometimes hard to hard unless you got the hood open.

If the high speed fans come on: You can definately hear them.

See below.
The PCM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

The engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 106C (223F).
The A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1310 kPa (190 psi).
The vehicle is shut off when the engine coolant temperature is greater than 140C (284F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay ON for approximately 3 minutes.

The PCM commands High Speed Fans on under the following conditions:

The engine coolant temperature reaches 110C (230F).
The A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1655 kPa (240 psi).
When certain DTCs set.

hass
07-04-2007, 09:24 PM
If you crank the heat on fan speed 5, it will cool the car faster than with the AC on.
AC condenser makes heat -.-

but yeah.
Turn the fan speed to 5.
Then you'll hear what the high speed fans sound like.
If you're walking in a parking lot and a car drives by and you hear a loud whining noise. [it's totally noticeable]
You know they have their AC on pretty high :p

55will87
07-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Ya I cool the car off with the heater often. The issue while accelerating is what concerns me. If the tranny goes, I want to upgrade a new one's internals but haven't looked into much yet.

lone_wolf025
07-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Its too bad you dropped the pan yourself otherwise I'd have suggested send it to a pro. I assume you thoroughly checked for bits of metal or something obviously wrong when you dropped it?

Also does it seem like it slips under any acceleration? Is it like the RPM's go up and the car barely moves under light acceleration?

55will87
07-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Pan was dropped by professional, he said he didn't notice any metal chips or shaving in the fan or around the filter. RPM's go up but speed lags.