'98 GT with severe hesitation problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : '98 GT with severe hesitation problem

hooligan
07-04-2007, 11:04 PM
hello everyone,

read through some of the posts but still haven't found what i am looking for, so hoping to get some input/suggestions.

my 98 gt (3.1L, ,auto, 86000 miles) recently developed a severe hesitation problem when accelerating from a standstill. it's embarrassing really, but i am at a loss as to what the problem might be. it's almost like the fuel/air mixture isn't correct. i have performed a fuel injector cleaning, replaced a bad fuel pressure regulator, changed the fuel and air filters, cleaned the grounds, and have done a new alternator and battery in the past one and a half years of owning the car.

the service engine light does not come on so i can't pull any codes, but my ABS light will light and stay lit, my airbag and battery lights will illuminate intermittently.

i was planning on checking the MAF, ICM, TPS. i have also considered a new o2 sensor and/or cat.

suggestions? similarities? solutions?

Mike Jung
07-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Check out your electrical system.

Example: Battery, Alternator, grounds & wire connections.

hooligan
07-04-2007, 11:43 PM
thanks for the input mike!

however, as mentioned, i just did a new battery and alternator within the past 10000 miles, and the grounds were cleaned and checked within the past 8000.

sudden_impulse
07-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Even a new battery and alternator could fail within 10,000 miles. If you can take them to an Autozone or similar place, they should be able to test those. Also, have you done a fluid and filter change on your tranny?

blazerk5drew
07-16-2007, 07:26 PM
those engines are very problematic with fuel injectors. you can try having your fuel system cleaned out professionally (car runs off of a fuel machine that uses a harsh detergent to clean fuel injectors, rail, regulator) or take it to a shop that can diagnose fuel injectors. They are rather easy to replace when u know the one(s) that are defective. Auto zone might be able to tell you which one you need for free. Dont buy a cheap injector because they are worse than the gm ones. I would go with like a bosch. The proper way to check misifire data is with a scanner that will show which cylinders are not firing. they dont always pull a code in the car but the scanner will show the data regardless. and autozone will check the alternator for free to if you need

dan58
07-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I have the exact same problem on my 98 GT. Although mine is a 2.4 5 spd. It basically hesitates big time when accelarating from low rpm. Let's say I'm in 2nd gear and the car is turning at around 2000 rpm, if I give it quite a bit of gas it will start to hesitate.

I don't know about you, but this started happening right after is did basic maintenance (plugs, oil change and a new air filter). I also threw in a bottle a fuel injector cleaner with a full tank of gas. I'm thinking it may be a clogged fuel filter.

On a side note, where is the fuel filter located on a 98 GT with the 2.4 Twin Cam?