Got my tail lights, but... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Got my tail lights, but...

vipey1337
07-06-2007, 03:40 PM
...they don't work. I know either my car recognizes I have different tail lights in OR it doesn't read them at all. I bought TYC tail lights that were tinted by Ajaxus (I think?) and sold to Grreen99GT, and then he turned around and sold them to me.

The reasons they don't work:

1) Obvious: The lights don't come on
2) When I put a turn signal on, the turn signal flashes like 3 times faster than it should. When I hit the brake, nothing happens for those lights.

I tried this with one light in and one light not in, and it always gets mad when the new tail light is in (specifically for that side). So what should I do? Is it a computer issue or are they just broken or won't work?

Thanks... the sooner I get info the better because I'm hanging out with Purdue's automotive club tomorrow and I want these to be installed. They look SICK! It's amazing! Glad I bought these (assuming they work!).

And yes I used the search function but didn't find anything useful :p

SikMindz
07-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Lies all lies.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15109&highlight=tail+resistor

vipey1337
07-06-2007, 04:36 PM
... so i have LED's?

Wow this looks complicated... I expected to just plug and play, now I have to plug and pray :(

SikMindz
07-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't know if you have LEDs or not. You tell me.

geldartb
07-06-2007, 06:08 PM
since my crystal ball is broke and everyone here doesnt feel like playing the guess what the hell i have game why dont you post a pic.

Ajaxus
07-06-2007, 07:29 PM
first off i was not the one to tint them, that was glisteningwhite.

secondly, this problem is in NO way related to the tinting, i can promise you that without a doubt.

the fast blinker would normally remind me of LED's, but iirc i didn't send them to Green99gt with the tails, it should only have filament lights. my only instinct is possibly something wrong with the ground or wiring. unfortunately im not gonna be around tomorrow, but if you happen to be in the area (iirc you said once you're from granger) in the next week or so i'd be happy to help you figure out the problem.

vipey1337
07-06-2007, 08:13 PM
first off i was not the one to tint them, that was glisteningwhite.

secondly, this problem is in NO way related to the tinting, i can promise you that without a doubt.

the fast blinker would normally remind me of LED's, but iirc i didn't send them to Green99gt with the tails, it should only have filament lights. my only instinct is possibly something wrong with the ground or wiring. unfortunately im not gonna be around tomorrow, but if you happen to be in the area (iirc you said once you're from granger) in the next week or so i'd be happy to help you figure out the problem.

Thanks :) I'll ignore some of the lesser polite people in this thread (not you, you're offering to help) :p I think I have a bit more self esteem than to bash people on a friggin grand am forum lol.

I'm taking them apart tomorrow to look at them. If I need help I'll either ask you or Grreen99GT or someone from the other forums I frequent because they are actually nice there in general. Thanks for not being an ass :D

I'll be in G-town Sunday evening/Monday morning, but then I have to head back down here, so that may or may not work. Regardless, if I have questions about what I'm looking at when I disassemble the tails, I'll let you know. I'm not blaming it on either of you just so you know, so don't worry about that :p I figured it was too easy when I unfastened four screws and the headlight suddenly came out lol.

AznGA
07-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Could be the harness. It happened to me because I asked TYC to send me a new pair of harnesses because the bulbs kept popping out on me. The harnesses for driver side and passenger side are NOT the same and TYC ended up sending me 2 same ones. This is from my experience.

vipey1337
07-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Could be the harness. It happened to me because I asked TYC to send me a new pair of harnesses because the bulbs kept popping out on me. The harnesses for driver side and passenger side are NOT the same and TYC ended up sending me 2 same ones. This is from my experience.

I'll try talking to them tomorrow, assuming they're open. Maybe they can give me an idea. I'm assuming nobody changed the lights between the three or so people that owned these lights before me, so I'll go off of that. Otherwise, I get to play with this fun wiring diagram and remember my electricity courses from oh-so-long ago :p

WeibSunder
07-06-2007, 10:42 PM
I remember reading somewhere that if your lights blink really fast that it's a resistor. I'm not sure, I don't know electronics, but I thought that might help you.

vipey1337
07-06-2007, 10:59 PM
It makes sense :) I'll play around with it tomorrow some. If I can't get it done tomorrow I'll have to wait till next weekend (driving home to get stitches removed Sunday evening after practice).

iceman
07-07-2007, 03:32 AM
thread title.. makes baby jesus wanna cry